Chapter 50

Sapphire's POV:

Over the past few months, I've noticed a significant shift in Alessia's behaviour. She has been spending less time with Kyra and more time with me. It's as if she's finally realised what we have together, and I can feel the distance between her and Kyra growing. The painful memory of my brothers' revelation still lingers, but seeing Alessia making an effort to prioritise our relationship gives me hope. I focus on the present and our future together, trying to leave the past behind.

One sunny afternoon, as we sat in our living room surrounded by wedding planning materials, I decided it was time to solidify some of the most important roles for our big day. I turned to Alessia, who was engrossed in selecting flower arrangements.

"Hey, love," I said, grabbing her attention. "I think it's time we ask our maid of honours and bridesmaids."

She looked up, her eyes brightening. "Yeah, I've been thinking about that too. Who are you going to ask?"

I smiled, already knowing my answer. "Grace, of course. She's been my rock through everything."

Alessia nodded approvingly. "That's perfect. And for bridesmaids?"

"Katie and Leah," I said without hesitation. "They've been so supportive, and I can't imagine them not being part of our special day."

Alessia grinned. "Great choices. I was thinking of asking Ella to be my maid of honour and my dad to walk me down the aisle."

"That's wonderful, Alessia," I said, feeling a surge of warmth. "And for your bridesmaids?"

"Mary and Kyra," she replied, her tone neutral. I felt a pang of unease at the mention of Kyra, but I pushed it aside. This was Alessia's day too, and I wanted her to have the people she cared about by her side.

We decided to make the calls together. I grabbed my phone and dialled Grace's number. She picked up after the first ring.

"Hey, GC!" I said cheerfully.

"SD! How's it going?" she replied, her voice full of energy.

"Good, good. Listen, I have something important to ask you," I said, feeling a mix of excitement and nerves.

"Sure, what is it?"

"Grace, will you be my maid of honour?" I asked, holding my breath.

There was a brief silence before she squealed. "Oh my God, Saph, of course, I will! I'd be honoured!"

I laughed, feeling a wave of relief and happiness. "Thank you, Grace. It means so much to me."

Next, I called my dad and brothers. They had always been my pillars of strength, and I wanted them to walk me down the aisle. When I told them, their reactions were filled with pride and joy.

"Of course, sweetheart," my dad said, his voice thick with emotion. "We'd be honoured to walk you down the aisle."

Tears welled up in my eyes. "Thank you, Dad. I love you all so much."

Meanwhile, Alessia was making her own calls. I overheard her talking to Ella, who was overjoyed to be asked as her maid of honour. The smile on Alessia's face was contagious, and it made my heart swell with love for her.

"Thank you, Ella," Alessia said, her voice filled with happiness. "It means the world to me."

We spent the rest of the afternoon calling our bridesmaids. Katie and Leah were thrilled to be part of my bridal party, and Mary and Kyra accepted Alessia's request with enthusiasm.

"Can't wait to stand by your side, Saph," Katie said, giving me a big hug.

"Same here," Leah added, her eyes sparkling. "It's going to be an amazing day."

That evening, as we sat together on the couch, Alessia snuggled up against me. "I can't believe it's all coming together," she said softly. "We're really doing this."

I kissed the top of her head. "Yes, we are. And it's going to be perfect."

As the days turned into weeks, I found myself caught in a whirlwind of emotions. Planning a wedding should have been a joyous occasion, but the weight of what I had learned weighed heavily on my heart. Despite my best efforts to push the truth aside, it lingered in the back of my mind, casting a shadow over every decision I made.

Alessia seemed oblivious to my inner turmoil, her excitement for our wedding shining through in every conversation and every shared moment. She poured herself into the preparations, her enthusiasm infectious as she envisioned our special day. But as much as I wanted to share in her joy, I couldn't shake the nagging doubts that plagued me.

One evening, as we sat together at the kitchen table, surrounded by wedding magazines and brochures, Alessia reached across and took my hand in hers.

"I can't believe this is happening," she said, her eyes shining with excitement. "Our wedding is going to be amazing, Saph."

I forced a smile, trying to ignore the knot of anxiety tightening in my chest. "Yeah, it's going to be incredible."

Alessia squeezed my hand, her smile widening. "I'm so lucky to have you, Sapph. I can't wait to spend the rest of my life with you."

Her words should have filled me with happiness, but instead, they only served to deepen my internal struggle. I wanted to believe in the future she painted for us, to trust in the love we shared. But the truth hung between us, unspoken yet ever-present, threatening to tear us apart.

As the weeks passed, I found myself retreating into myself, withdrawing from the world as I grappled with the conflicting emotions swirling inside me. Alessia noticed the change in my demeanour, her concern evident in the way she watched me, searching for answers I couldn't give.

"Saph, is everything okay?" she asked one evening, her voice filled with worry.

I forced a smile, hoping to ease her concerns. "Yeah, I'm just tired, that's all."

But Alessia wasn't convinced, her brow furrowing as she studied me intently. "You can talk to me, you know. Whatever it is, we'll figure it out together."

Her words touched me, a poignant reminder of the love and support she had always offered me. But even as I longed to confide in her, to unburden myself of the secrets weighing me down, I couldn't bring myself to do it. The fear of what might happen if I confronted the truth was too great, and so I remained silent, trapped in a web of my own making.

As the day of our wedding drew closer, the tension between us grew, a palpable undercurrent that threatened to engulf us both. Despite my attempts to bury my doubts, they continued to gnaw at me, a constant reminder of the betrayal that loomed over our relationship.

But amidst the turmoil, there were moments of hope, fleeting glimpses of the love and connection we shared. Alessia's touch, her smile, her unwavering belief in our future together—all served as reminders of why I had fallen in love with her in the first place.

And so, as we stood on the brink of our wedding day, I clung to those moments, desperate to believe that love could conquer all. But deep down, I knew that the truth could no longer be ignored, that the shadows of doubt would always linger, casting a shadow over our once-bright future.