Chapter 43

Sapphire's POV:

The second month seemed to pass in a blur of uncertainty and unease. Despite my efforts to reconnect with Alessia, she had grown increasingly distant, even during training and matches. Her mind seemed elsewhere, her focus scattered, and no amount of encouragement or support from me could bring her back.

One evening after a particularly frustrating training session, I found myself sitting alone in the locker room, my mind swirling with worry and frustration. It wasn't just Alessia's distance that bothered me; it was the growing sense of isolation that seemed to permeate every interaction we had.

As I sat lost in thought, Leah, Viv, Beth, Caitlin, Katie, and Lotte walked in, their expressions a mix of concern and determination. Leah, ever the leader, stepped forward, her gaze steady and unwavering.

"Sapphire, we need to talk," she said, her voice firm but gentle.

I looked up, startled by their sudden appearance. "What's going on?" I asked, trying to keep my voice steady despite the turmoil raging inside me.

Viv stepped forward, her brow furrowed with worry. "We've all noticed that Alessia's been acting strange lately. She's been distant, unfocused, and it's affecting the whole team."

Beth nodded in agreement, her expression serious. "We're worried about her, Sapphire. And we're worried about you too."

I felt a lump form in my throat, the weight of their concern pressing down on me like a ton of bricks. "I... I don't know what to say," I admitted, feeling a wave of helplessness wash over me.

Caitlin stepped forward, her eyes soft with understanding. "We're not blaming you, Sapphire. We just want to understand what's going on. Is everything okay between you and Alessia?"

I took a deep breath, trying to gather my thoughts. "I don't know," I said finally, my voice barely above a whisper. "She's been distant, even during training and matches. And no matter how hard I try to reach out to her, she just... she keeps pushing me away."

Katie stepped forward, her expression sympathetic. "Have you talked to her about it? Maybe there's something going on that she's not telling you."

I nodded, feeling a surge of frustration and sadness. "I've tried, but every time I bring it up, she shuts down. I don't know what else to do."

Lotte spoke up, her voice gentle but firm. "Sapphire, you can't keep shouldering this burden alone. We're here for you, all of us. But you need to talk to Alessia and figure out what's going on."

Leah placed a hand on my shoulder, her gaze steady and reassuring. "We're behind you, Sapphire. Whatever you decide to do, we've got your back."

Caitlin's POV:

After our conversation with Sapphire about Alessia's distant behaviour, Leah gathered us - Viv, Beth, Katie, Lotte, and me - to discuss confronting Alessia. We all agreed that something needed to be done, not just for the team's sake, but for Alessia's well-being as well.

As we approached Alessia after training, she was packing her bag, her expression tense and guarded. Leah took the lead, her voice steady but firm. "Alessia, can we talk to you for a moment?"

Alessia glanced up, her eyes flickering with a mixture of surprise and apprehension. "Sure," she replied, though there was a defensive edge to her tone.

We gathered around her, the weight of our concern palpable in the air. "Alessia, we've noticed that you've been distant lately," Leah began, her gaze searching. "Especially when it comes to Sapphire. Is everything okay?"

Alessia's jaw tightened, her fists clenching at her sides. "I don't know what you're talking about," she said, her voice clipped.

Viv stepped forward, her expression gentle but probing. "We're just worried about you, Alessia. You haven't been yourself lately, especially during training and matches."