Chapter 9: Decision

For a moment I was startled to notice the shadows coming towards me, but sensing no danger, I realized it was Clayton and Eirlys.

"What are they doing here? I didn't tell them to wait until I got back," I reminded them firmly.

"I'm sorry, boss. We were worried. We also heard loud noises and thought you might need help," Clayton explained, visibly nervous.

"Even if you came, it wouldn't help any. You must stop those reckless habits," I warned them, recognizing the concern in their attitude.

With an inward sigh, I decided not to pursue the subject further. After all, they are young and I can't expect them to obey my every command perfectly, but I must correct their recklessness before it causes them serious problems. With those thoughts in mind, I sent them off to find the other children.

As we left the house, I noticed the fear in many of them as we walked past the bodies of the kidnappers. Even my two companions showed signs of nervousness, although they tried to hide it on their faces. Once outside the house, a message popped into my mind:

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Mission: Escape (Completed)

Description:

You have been captured by criminals who were planning to sell you to illegal traders. Escape from prison and regain your freedom.

Reward: 100 (SP).

(Optional)

- Secondary Objective 1: Free prisoners (Completed).

- Reward: 10 (SP) per freed prisoner.

- Secondary Objective 2: Eliminate aggressors (Completed).

- Reward: 300 (SP) per aggressor eliminated.

Amount obtained:

Total: 650 SP.

--------------------------------------

When I received that message, I remembered the mission I had pending. Those (SP) will be welcome. I wanted to check my balance and saw that I had 1150 (SP) accumulated. Seeing the amount, I realized that getting (SP) is not as easy as I thought. So, I asked Gaia: 'Gaia, are there other ways to earn SP besides quests?', to which she replied.

[[OF COURSE USER. BESIDES QUESTS, WHEN YOU ACHIEVE A SYSTEM-RECOGNIZED ACHIEVEMENT, YOU CAN GET A LOT OF (SP). IN ADDITION, THEY ARE ALSO OBTAINED BY KILLING BEASTS OR MONSTERS]].

Hearing this, I wanted to know more about the achievements, but unfortunately my level of authority does not allow me to access that information. I decided not to worry about it and, with a touch of sarcasm, asked about the rewards for killing monsters. Gaia responded with the rewards set by the system.

[[REWARDS FOR KILLING MONSTERS

- 1-star beasts: 5 SP reward.

- 2-star beasts: 10 SP reward.

- 3-star beasts: Reward of 20 SP.

- Beasts of 4 stars: Reward of 60 SP.

- Beasts of 5 stars: Reward of 120 SP.

- Beasts of 6 stars: Reward of 250 SP.

- Beasts of 7 stars: Reward of 750 SP.

- Beasts of 8 stars: Reward of 1500 SP.

- 9-star beasts: Reward of 2500 SP.]]

'Don't you think the rewards are too low,' I asked in disbelief when I saw the figures.

[[THE REWARDS ARE SET BY THE GAIA SYSTEM. I CAN ONLY PROVIDE SUPPORT AND ANSWER QUESTIONS THAT DO NOT EXCEED THEIR LEVEL OF AUTHORITY]].

Well, there are a lot of beasts and monsters in the world, so I just need to invest time. Thinking about it like that, it's not so bad. Facing monsters is something I'll have to face sooner or later, so it's like killing two birds with one stone.

I thought about the possibilities as the kids waited for my instructions. After consideration, I offered them two options: split up there or join me and follow me as their leader. I admit that some showed fear, but surprisingly, twenty children, including my two companions, decided to follow me. The other five chose not to, either out of fear, self-confidence or they have a family. I respected their decision.

After remembering an important detail, I asked them to wait while I went back to the house. I collected everything of value, the digital currency LuminaCredit (LC) was the currency of this empire and was used for any exchange, but as the guys who lived here were guys with dubious professions so they tend to exchange things with physical resources and other useful objects.

 While searching for more treasures, I discovered a safe behind a painting. Not knowing the combination, I used my sword to open it. Having secured funds for my future plans, I rejoined the children.

"Does anyone know where we are?", I asked, aware of our need for direction.

"It looks like we are in the west district of the intermediate section, near the outlying area or slums," replied one of the children who knew the area well.

We decided to head towards our shelter, separating ourselves from the children who did not want to join us.

"boss don't you think that's a lot of kids it's almost twice as many as our group has."

As we walked toward our destination, Clayton suddenly expressed concern about the number of children we had to care for.

"Don't worry, I have enough funds to support them for a while, even the ones in our hideout," I assured him, these children are seeds that I will plant and grow for my future plans, I continued the long walk as I was reflecting on my next steps to change the future.