Chapter 8: Determination

I knew it was only a matter of time before the man tracked me down, so I decided to take the initiative. I ran out of the room and saw him walking down the hallway in a cautious manner. When he saw me, he took a defensive posture and prepared for combat. This time, I didn't let him take the initiative, I left the room, the echo of my footsteps echoing in the corridor, his posture tense and alert.

I took out an object I bought at the store, a smoke bomb. Throwing it at his feet, he backed away as a precaution, but that was only more beneficial to me. The smoke bomb went off with a loud bang, enveloping the hallway in a cloud of dense smoke, disorienting him and obscuring his vision.

Noticing that it was only a smoke bomb, he wanted to close the distance, which I avoided by throwing the two daggers. Sensing that something was heading towards him, he blocked it, but that allowed me to create a distraction, I pulled out a sword from my inventory, I teleported behind him, the silver flash of my sword aimed precisely at the back of his neck. the hiss of air cut by the blade's edge echoing in the hallway.

However, he managed to dodge it and I only cut a few strands of hair. The man wanted to counterattack, but I blocked him, the impact knocked me back.

I noticed that his strength was equal to mine as far as stats were concerned, but the size difference worked against me. With experience on my side, I was able to make effective use of all my resources. Despite his strength matching mine, I felt the weight of his attack resonate through my body, but my previous combat experience allowed me to maintain my composure, taking advantage of every opening and weakness in his defense.

After analyzing everything, I focused on the fight. An exchange of blows began in the thick smoke screen. It seemed that I was superior in handling the senses, as he did not seem to detect me unless I was very close, allowing me to use the strategy of attack and run. The metallic sound of our weapons clashing filled the hallway, accompanied by the muffled sound of our quick movements with murderous intent as we danced through the shadows of the smoke.

After a while, both the man and I had exhausted our stamina. Hiding in the smoke, I pulled out a red vial that increases vitality and helps me have more stamina, as well as a blue vial that helps me recover mana, which only had 30% or so left. With a quick gesture, the tinkling crystal filling the air as I prepared to boost my stamina and mana weakened by the intense battle.

Both were one-star potions, so they were more effective on a starless awakened like me, causing me to return to my best. I am not the only one who took advantage of this opportunity, as the man drank vials with the same characteristics as mine, only his were of lesser quality and barely useful for a one-star awakened like him. we both prepared for what would surely be the final showdown, each strengthening ourselves with the potions at our disposal.

Even though he was drinking the potions, he never let his guard down and was always aware of his surroundings. I threw another smoke bomb again and this time I was going to give it my all to end this battle as quickly as possible.

The sword that appeared in my hand was an elemental star sword (1 star) that was stronger than common weapons. And in the other hand the weapon I found earlier, which although it would not fatally wound him, it was faster than throwing weapons and the frequency of shots was faster.

I fired the four shots in succession and aimed for his vitals, but he blocked with his sword. It worked as a distraction and then I approached him and attacked him head on. He blocked the sword attack, but while our swords were in contact, I activated one of the swords functions and an electric current originated from the sword and transferred to his, causing involuntary contractions. 

i unloaded a flurry of quick and precise strikes, the electric buzz of my sword crackling in the air as it unleashed a paralyzing current in his weapon, causing him to drop his weapon leaving him vulnerable and unarmed before me.

He stepped back as I threw a different type of weapon. He tried to cover himself with his arms, but what I threw was a stun bomb that left him confused for a few moments.

I used teleportation and positioned myself right in front of him. He was blocking with his arms his head and chest in a desperate way as his reactions became slower due to the bomb , but that was what I wanted.

 When my sword was about to hit his arms, I teleported behind him and stabbed his back. After my sword found its target in the man's back, a tense silence filled the hallway. With an effort, the man managed to articulate his first words between gasps and coughs, blood spurting from his mouth like a macabre crimson fountain.

I used teleportation and positioned myself right in front of him. He was blocking with his arms his head and chest in a desperate way as his reactions became slower due to the bomb , but that was what I wanted. When my sword was about to hit his arms, I teleported behind him and stabbed his back. 

After my sword found its target in the man's back, a tense silence filled the hallway. With an effort, the man managed to articulate his first words between gasps and coughs, blood spurting from his mouth like a macabre crimson fountain.

"Coof... I guess you won, kid....".

his voice laden with resignation and surprise.

"Who'd have thought I'd die at the hands of a brat like you."

"..."

"But that's something I can accept," he continued, his tone fluctuating between irony and fatality. "When you're in this kind of business, you know that death is not far behind you."

His words echoed in the air, laden with disbelief and a bitter acceptance of his impending fate, even in his dying breath, he showed a startling clarity about the unforgiving nature of his own world.

The man's legs gave way beneath him, and he collapsed to the ground, forming a large pool of his own blood. It was a fitting end for an individual who had lived and died in a world where violence and betrayal were the norm.

Tired after two battles, I lay down on the ground and analyzed everything that had just happened. It's a habit I have every time I fight a difficult battle. After a few minutes of analyzing the battle and simulating numerous scenarios in which I could have done better, my thoughts drifted and I realized that my identity problem was being solved without realizing it. Whether true or not, my thoughts flow with the premise that I am a regressor, which is normal as the years of memories that invade my mind are more significant to the years I remember as a child , which hardly do anything more than create my initial confusion.

Not to mention that those memories are also part of the memories in my head. So I decided to stop overthinking it and accept that I am a regressor. Already many factors prove this to me, such as skills, understanding and their use, albeit restricted, as well as the combat experience that was helpful to me in these battles. Being awakened or not, if I were a normal child, they would have finished me off before I could even do anything.

After coming to the conclusion about my identity, I just reaffirm that I must not allow things to repeat themselves. I must prevent the same thing from happening from my previous life and memories of various events from my previous life come to my mind and my anger begins to rise.

"This time I will not be a chess piece, I will not let them do what they want, I will destroy this damn game!"

I made a statement towards nothingness, but my words were directed towards those who look at this world with greed, a greed that only brings destruction.

I calmed my anger that was beginning to surface as it serves no purpose. At this moment, I can do nothing against them, but I swear that the day I make them pay will come, at this moment I can only get stronger, stronger than in my previous life, and then I will be able to finish those guys with my own hands.

I got up and started down the stairs again, and went to where the kids were. My mana reserve was very low, I only had 10% left. Unlike in games, in real life there is no life or mana bar, you can only intuitively feel how much you possess. The use of the sword function and the continuous teleportations, as well as the amplifications to my senses and body, were taking their toll on me. As I approached the door leading to the basement where the children were, I saw shadows coming towards me and instinctively raised my weapon ready for a fight.