Chapter 47: Murderous intent

I could feel the man shudder under my hand holding his neck. He tried to resist, but could not the seals prevented him from making any resistance. Without asking any questions, I began to chant an arcane elemental spell of medium level (5 stars) that allowed to extract memories. It is a forbidden dark element spell that can damage the summoner's mind, and being a spell two ranks above my level, its effects are strong.

However, I made sure to merge the absorption and assimilation features so that the spell would not be so difficult to handle. I also forcibly fused the will trait with this dark spell to select the memories I wanted. I had also cast a mental protection spell with the will and holy trait that prevented any mental damage. You could say that I am the only one who can cast this spell without suffering any side effects.

Thus I was able to obtain some of his memories. The reason I got sidetracked into doing all this is because I wanted to know if there was anything I should keep in mind when dealing with him and questioning him normally may cause me to overlook some things, especially if he is involved with any nobles, I don't want to mess with them yet.

When I read his memories, he was indeed related to a viscount, but it was only a business relationship, so it wasn't that important. On the other hand, I found out that he was related to the black market and had some secrets that would be his fatal weakness.

I already knew how to handle the situation. I released him, and the man, who had fainted after reciting the spell, woke up at that moment. I was using my disguise ability and a mask so as not to reveal my identity. Because I still had restraining spells, I couldn't make a fuss,

"Hello, Román... you don't know me, but I know you." I walked slowly my footsteps could be heard in the silent room I was heading to the wall the closer I got the more I could hear Roman's heart racing, and it sped up even more as he moved some things off the shelf.

"Let's make a deal," I said as I entered the password into the safe that was revealed. The man looked at me with panic in his eyes and struggled with everything he could but to no avail. I showed him the papers that were in the box continued,

"If you become my subordinate, I won't make these documents public. How about that? It's not a bad deal." At that moment, I snapped my fingers and the restraining spells were undone.

Roman instantly attempted to attack me, but I simply released my murderous intent something I hadn't used since returning due to having trouble digesting so many conflicting memories and information and hadn't found the need to use it, not until now, Roman, who was heading towards me, fell to his knees halfway.

My murderous intent, honed by thousands of battles and thousands, perhaps millions of lives I have taken over the years, whether from people, beasts, monsters or demons, was something a mere three star would not endure.

This is not something tangible, it is something that is naturally formed and takes shape through mana. The man lay on the ground, writhing as if he were looking at death itself.

There are only two ways to ensure loyalty: either you offer them salvation and help, or you impress upon them absolute fear. I had to use the second method with this guy. After a while, when I thought it was enough, I undid my intention. The man seemed to have found salvation and was breathing deeply. With nothing more to say, from then on he was obedient and I told him what to do.

He besides having a normal potions business also had a business selling illegal narcotics, as well as other businesses that are worse and that I don't even want to hear about, I didn't want to deal with this kind of person, but I know that in this world darkness will always exist it can't be eradicated, so it is better to adapt to it or control it.

He is only a small part of that darkness, so he is not important, but from now on he is my bridge to that world. I won't hesitate to get my hands dirty in order to change the future. Sure, there are some things I saw in his memories that make me want to break this guy's neck immediately, but I have to restrain myself.

Roman is necessary until then I will use him. So I just restricted him from some business and told him that any kidnapped children should be sent to the orphanage that Christian founded, I did not hide my connection with Christian and I was not afraid of him finding out, as I have many things that can destroy him.

He, with a large organization on the west side of the intermediate zone, had four-star subordinates and even one five-star subordinate, but, unfortunately, on the way I overtook him without even being noticed, so it was of no use to him. Besides, he couldn't detect my rank or how I got there, so he would always have that invisible pressure that he was probably opposed to a high-ranking desperado, and his connection to the viscount and other nobles wasn't enough to protect him.

I left without any hesitation. I had already let him know the means and what he should contact me for. This was a windfall, from the beginning I knew they would eventually get in the way of my plans so I have to be prepared for whatever may come.

Days passed and the auction began. It was being held outside the capital, in a smaller town to the north, where a festival was also being held that day which I used as a cover for the auction. As I headed there, I could tell that the streets were bustling and there was noise everywhere.

Ignoring that, I headed north of the city, and in an area that seemed wealthier, I found what looked like an abandoned house. This was the entrance assigned to me. When I entered, I showed my invitation and was allowed to pass.

The place was a large subway space that not only served as the location of the auction event, but also as the black market, where there were multiple stores offering illegal services. Ignoring all that, I made my way to the larger building, which was the auction house.

It was only a short time before it started, at the entrance they explained to me how to bid and the rules of the house, when I understood I took a seat. I was disguised as the day I put the objects for sale, but it was not suspicious since everyone here had masks on; it was an unspoken rule.

After a few minutes, the auction started. A very pretty lady in a mask stood in the center of the stage and began.

"Good evening, dear guests, ladies and gentlemen. I will be your hostess tonight, so I will kick off this auction..."