Chapter 38: Negotiations and Disclosures

It seems that Lili also detected that strong presence inside the cave, but now that I am three stars I am more confident that I can defeat it than before. So Lili and I return to the village and after passing it we find the cave.

Cautiously we entered as usual, hiding and taking advantage of the fact that the cave was dark. I used the Wandering Shadow spell that allowed me to use the darkness to move, along with the elemental trait of assimilation, it is easier for me to move and I became even harder to detect.

The cave was a downward slope, so it got deeper the further we walked. Along the way I encountered some 4-star kobolds and other kobolds that looked uneasy. I don't know if it's because they noticed that I exterminated the village or for another reason.

Suddenly, I could hear a howl from inside the cave, which was deeper and with more tunnels now that I examined it in detail. I could detect that the origin of the howl was coming from the stronger existence here. I was able to detect a bit of the meaning and realized it was a command to stay alert.

I guess that existence could detect what happened in the village and think they are my next target, and he is absolutely right. Even on alert I made my way through, the four star beasts became easier to hunt, I didn't even need to use several sealing spells to kill them without making a fuss. Thus I went deeper and deeper, and after a while another howl was heard.

My detection spell noticed that the kobolds began to gather, just like in the village, all gathered around the presence in the background. I didn't mind, but this would make it more complicated as using large scale destruction spells could cause the ground to collapse and bury me. But the amount isn't much, it's only around 50 even though they are three and four star, it's still something within my abilities.

Originally I just wanted to explore and see if I could take out all the kobolds, but now that I've moved up in rank I think I'm more capable of doing that. When I got to the end of the cave there was a large space the size of about four soccer fields, with the ceiling at the height of about 100 meters.

It was totally dark. The kobolds had the ability to see in the dark, I for one also possess something similar due to my eyes of truth that can see through darkness as if it were daytime.

Also some sort of crack in the air or crevice in the back of the kobold they were protecting, and I realized that is the reason they are here. Scanning the area I could see the kobolds in fighting stance and tense. In the center I could see the existence I detected from outside, according to my eyes of truth it was a (5 star commander kobold).

Before I moved up in rank I would have no chance of facing a monster of this rank in close combat and would have to use spells like I did in the village, but now that I moved up I think I have a good chance of defeating it in close combat.

However, the feeling I had of danger was not coming from him, when I looked closer, I noticed something next to the kobold: there was another kobold that was the size of a two-star kobold.

But when I realized that it was not within my detection, I concentrated my eyes of truth on it and it appeared (5-star Sorcerer Kobold). Immediately I could see the race and class of the kobold. Then, when I saw the class, I realized that he had some anti-detection barrier and not only that, he tried to hide it and disguise the energy he was emitting to a two star.

Then, when I was thinking what to do as two 5 stars might be too much for me, the wizard kobold stepped forward and spoke:

"Human, stop this massacre, we can negotiate."

He wasn't looking in my direction, but I guess he spoke on the premise that I was listening to them. I was not surprised that they spoke our language, as it is known that monsters, demons and beasts can speak our language when they reach a certain rank or are very intelligent. And I guess he is the only one who can communicate with me.

What did surprise me is that he tried to negotiate with me. Negotiation is known to be out of the question when dealing with these foreign monsters from both sides, but the fact that he would try to negotiate with me means that they believe the possibility exists. That leaves me with a question, 'where did they get the idea that it was possible?' So I talked to them to find out.

"Negotiate, what do you mean negotiate?" I used a spell that makes my voice not have an exact source and they can't locate me with it.

"We know that humans see this as valuable, so, if you leave us alone we can give you a lot of it," she said as she showed me gold ores and other magical metals. There were even unrefined magical stones and magical gems. But I concentrated on questioning him.

"Do you think a few simple gems can convince me?"

"Human, don't be greedy."

"So what if I am greedy, do you think you can oppose me? I can cast spells like the one that destroyed your village easily." I lied a little to intimidate them, it's impossible for me to detect my rank as long as Lili is with me.

"Don't think that can intimidate us, my lord has already made a deal with humans and among humans there are those who back us." Hearing what was said, I noticed that they have already had contact with other humans and it seems they are backed. Few in the world would do something like that , and it came to my mind that group that caused a disaster to occur in the capital a few years later, where suddenly cracks opened up and the capital went into chaos.

At that time, 'that' group made its appearance in the world and was an active contributor to humanity becoming extinct. The most curious thing is that one of the rifts came out many kobolds, which makes me wonder if this is related to that incident.

This is more serious than I thought, so I wasted no time and teleported behind the commanding kobold. I recited some confusion and sealing spells and made contact with him. Then, wasting no time, I teleported as far away as I could . All this happened in an instant and the monster seemed bewildered not understanding what was going on. So I wasted no time I distanced myself and conjured a spell.

"I awaken the power of the enclosed lightning.

With thunder and lightning that illuminate the night,

I forge armor that gleams with great splendor.

My body protected, my spirit bold,

before challenges, I assert myself with solace."

"Armor of the Tempest."

With that I completed a medium arcane elemental rank spell (5 stars) that created lightning boots and gloves, also enhanced with the punish trait. The closer I am to the range of the spell the less chanting I need and those of my rank and below I can do it without chanting and just thinking about it or making simple gestures.

On the other hand, concealment had been discarded, since if you come in contact with something it stops being influenced and to hide again I have to lose myself from their sight and senses for at least a second or cast a stronger spell.

The kobold commander hadn't moved while I was preparing myself. The change of situation and environment disconcerted him too much and that's the only reason why he hasn't attacked me yet, but that was only temporary and he started to attack me as soon as he came to his senses, I wanted to test my current limits so I started my first direct fight with 5 stars without relying on destruction spells.