Chapter 14: Fate meets destiny (2)

The dark energy began to envelop me. Already familiar with its origin, I put up no resistance; I knew well the power of the mysterious voice behind it. This dark force was weaving itself into every fiber of my being, clouding my mind with its overwhelming presence. However, using characteristic of my light element, will, I managed to keep my consciousness clear, though I did not stop the flow of dark energy and it's not as if I could.

As it expanded within me, I heard a confused comment from the voice, [Funny, you were only supposed to wake up a few months later]. The surprise didn't stop the process. What followed was a phenomenon never seen in our world so far : a new elemental vessel began to form on the right side of my chest. If academics or elites discovered this, they would surely isolate me for intensive studies.

After all To awaken an elemental affinity not corresponding to the one naturally acquired upon reaching the first star was unthinkable. And the existence of a person with a third element was even more extraordinary, since there were no records of anyone with more than two elemental affinities.

Furthermore, it seemed that dark energy was not only invading me, but also providing me with experience allowing for another rank ascension. I decided that this was a crucial time to try to awaken more elemental characteristics. Usually, even for those of high rank, it would be an exceptional achievement to manifest more than four characteristics of an element. However, I, despite being only on my second star level promotion, was confident in my ability to achieve awakening more characteristics.

After a few intense minutes, the dark energy subsided, and my ascension to a two-star awakened was completed the second star unlike the first there was nothing special to do I just needed to circulate my mana to imbue my body and better my mana affinity, as well as strengthen my elemental containers.

Now that I had completed my ascension and was a two star awakened I did not observe the changes in my state as I had a situation at hand, it was time to deal with the situation. I checked my body and, aside from the typical upgrades of a rank promotion, there were no signs of the voice or visible changes. Still, I was not fooled, I tried to dialogue with the presence I knew was there, it was not the first time I faced such a phenomenon. I began to speak aloud, as if I were in a dialogue with myself.

"Uhmm, how strange, that dark energy just disappeared. Could it be that I imagined it? I thought a demon had possessed me."

Without waiting for a response, I kept talking.

"He probably saw that he was no match for me and ran away like a scaredy cat."

[Who is the scaredy cat?]

'It seems that her patience is less than I remember,' so I intentionally provoked her to reveal herself

"So you're still here, huh? I thought you left because you're scared of me."

[Who would be scared of a little kid? Just wait.]

As I said this, the voice, unable to contain itself any longer, revealed itself in the form of a black mist emerging from my body and materializing into a black cat with purple eyes. with fluffy fur that I almost instinctively wanted to pet. The cat looked furious and its expression clearly showed its anger at my earlier words. Now that she revealed herself I tried to calm her down.

"Easy, easy, I was only joking. I didn't mean it. Lili, to make it up to you, I'll treat you to a delicious meal."

[Who wants your food? Don't think that because...]

Before I could finish, she stopped as she realized something in my words.

[What did you say?]

"That I'll make it up to you with a meal."

[Before that.]

"[I was just joking.]

[Stop playing, you said Lili, you said my name.]

Letting out a sigh at her overreaction, I stopped provoking her.

"it seems like coming back has slowed you down just think about the situation."

[...]

"..."

[shut up it's not that I've become dumber, it's just that I'm a bit weird because most of my body is still sealed in the labyrinth].

It seems she got mad again after I called her dumb, but it's true that it doesn't take a genius to understand what happened just like me she has the memories of our past life and somehow managed to find me wayyyy before our original encounter, but it seems she didn't consider that I also had memories of my previous mida so she acted that way.

I also found her childish way of speaking and the form she took strange, but there is only one existence like Lili in the world so she is unmistakable. But it seems like it's only a part of her which makes sense, it's weirder that she's in front of me right now, but from what she said I can get an idea of what she did.

[....]

It seems that after pondering for a while she understood the situation and before she asked I said.

"I don't know if you want to hear it, but this happened after you died."

I explained to him everything that happened from his death until our reunion.

[...]

After a brief silence while he processed the information, he asked:

[So, can we trust this Gaia system?]

"I'm not entirely sure of its reliability, but it has certainly helped me to get stronger quickly."

[If you say so, then it must be right. But, leaving that aside, since when did you become so playful? I remember someone much more serious and reserved].

"..."

I couldn't deny his observation. In my previous life, after all I had been through, I used to be someone who just hunted demons and beasts relentlessly. But maybe it was because I was glad to be reunited with Lili so soon, and the thought that the others might still be alive somewhere. Also, although my adult personality dominated, I still resided in a young body, and seemed to enjoy being more playful. I opted not to explain this to Lili and quickly changed the subject.

"So how come you went back to the past too?"

[I don't know. I only remember becoming conscious deep in that labyrinth, and since it was sealed, I was only able to release a small part of me. After that, I went out to look for you, and here I am].

Curious as to whether this had anything to do with the Gaia system, I asked, 'Gaia, how is it that Lili also remembers the events of her past life?'

[[SORRY USER, BUT I DON'T HAVE THE ANSWER EITHER. IF I WERE TO SPECULATE, IT COULD BE THAT AT THE TIME THEY WERE CONSIDERED A SINGLE ENTITY]].

Realizing what the Gaia system was hinting at, I began to understand the situation a little better. Lili, or like the name, is an entity that I did not fully understand until the end of my previous life. She is an intelligent being that grants the user the ability to manipulate the dark element. Although they do not exist today, artifacts will appear in the future that will allow people to awaken a different element than the naturally acquired one. 

However, Lilith is an atypical case, as these objects were never documented as having a life of their own or the ability to act independently. She herself did not know their origins, and one of our mutual goals was to discover where she came from.