Chapter 63: Guilty

Things were getting more intense. I was focused on the discussions and revelations that kept coming out. 'They could be useful in the future,' I said to myself as Eirlys passed me some desserts and snacks from the buffet that no one, due to the tension, felt like eating.

At that moment, a new factor appeared. One of the guards found a letter in Edward's quarters. The letter was a threat written in blood: "If you don't pay me, everyone will know what you did". The letter was unsigned, but the handwriting was clear and strong.

Lord Farren spoke again. "Edward not only had enemies here. Apparently, he was involved in dirty business. This letter could be proof of that."

Martha raised an eyebrow. "So he was in debt to someone dangerous. Maybe that's the real motive for his murder."

The discussion became more heated. Each new revelation added layers of complexity to the case. The guests began to debate more fervently, pointing out possible connections between the clues.

The contents of the letter seemed to indicate that Eduardo was blackmailing or being blackmailed. "Maybe someone here knew about his shady dealings," Martha suggested.

A jewelry dealer interjected. "What if Eduardo was working with that clandestine organization? What if something went wrong and they decided to eliminate him?"

"But the barriers don't allow anyone to come and go unnoticed, and someone powerful enough to do that wouldn't use such sneaky methods," added another guest.

Conclusions kept coming out, but none were directed at anyone specific. The main suspects claimed innocence, like Marta, who proved she wasn't the only one with her company's logo at the party, or Farren, who brought his nephew, who confessed to losing the ring in a bet.

Silence flooded the room as desserts filled my mouth.

"Big brother, aren't you worried about the situation?" Chis, who was nervous, asked me at my lack of concern. In my defense, Eirlys didn't seem concerned either and kept passing me pastries from the table.

"Why should we be concerned? We have nothing to see here." I was calm as I enjoyed the show. It reminded me of the past, where I was at the center of the problems and discussions. Now I could calmly watch from the side.

"Well, big brother is right, but we could get involved."

"I don't think so, besides it looks like they are about to bring out a verdict." I said as I looked to the center of the room.

Finally, Lord Farren spoke firmly. "After considering all the evidence, we have come to a conclusion."

Everyone leaned forward, waiting for the name.

"The prime suspect is... Garth."

Garth stood up, disbelief and anger reflected on his face. "This is ridiculous, I obviously had nothing to do with this! Those bastards from the Blood Eyes guild probably have something to do with it."

Lord Farren continued. "Garth, being a six-star awakened, you're the one most likely to have the ability to do this. You probably noticed that Edward had relations with your rival guild and, fearing that they would unite against you, you decided to kill him."

"That's ridiculous. I didn't even know he was related to that guild until now, and I wouldn't do this right now. Don't you think that, if I wanted to, I would have looked for another time? Those bastards from the Blood Eyes guild want to frame me."

Lord Farren continued. "There's no one from that guild in this place, so you can't blame them. Besides, Edward died too easily. You being a six star awakened, you're telling me you didn't notice anything being one of the closest to him at the time? Honestly, there was nothing to discuss from the beginning."

The room erupted in murmurs. Some supported the decision, while others questioned it.

Garth, cornered, made one last confession. "Yes, I admit I hated Edward. He was a despicable man who used people for his own ends. But I am not his killer. If you blame me, you will be letting the real culprit go free."

Although the evidence was circumstantial and Garth's motivations were clear, there was no concrete evidence pointing to him as the killer. However, the pressure and the need to find a culprit led to his conviction.
.

The method of the murder was a quick and precise slitting of the throat in the middle of the party, but neither Garth nor any of his group had weapons, even if they were the bodyguards. It was just formality to show their closeness, but that doesn't matter because it makes him more suspicious.

Anyone with experience can shape mana to be sharp, so that was one more point against him being a six star awakened that would make such a thing easy for him.

At that moment lord Warren who was watching all the events without saying a word ordered his subordinates to catch Garth, who tried to run away, but the knight captain was present and easily suppressed him.

In the end, Garth was blamed and convicted. Many in the room were still in doubt. I, for one, could not help but be amazed at how events unfolded. I felt like I was in those detective novels.

When we returned to our lodgings, the boys were talking about the events. Now that they were calm, they were able to talk freely. At that point, they diverted their attention to me.

"Leader, how could you be so calm? I was shaking with so many people blaming each other. I couldn't help but think that we would be next," Miyuki asked. I could see that she was self-conscious during that time, not moving in the slightest, as if doing so would cause fingers to point at her.

'I wonder if she has a related trauma.' Although she is more open to talk to me now, there are times when she doesn't tell the truth or dodges some topics, but I respect that as we all have secrets.

"What are you afraid of? If you owe nothing, you fear nothing - why would you be afraid of being singled out?" I said to the guys, who for some reason were all on edge this whole time, except for Eirlys, who is usually calm in most situations. At that point, Chis commented.

"But, big brother, they were all powerful and influential people there. I was afraid they would blame us and use us as scapegoats."

Well, what Chis said is true, but we are not the first on the scapegoat list. In fact, the first on the list was Garth.

"Come on, it may not seem like it, but the fact that we're from the capital is already a persuader that we won't be easily picked on, so you don't have to worry."

"Well, if big brother says so," Chis said being persuaded by my words. At that moment, I heard Lili's voice.

['Don't you have any remorse? An innocent man was blamed for a crime he didn't commit.']

'Come on, Lili, what are you talking about? You know, too, that he is not as innocent as he seemed. Just like the city lord's son, he used his status and power to commit crimes and hide them. According to what Bax found out, if he were to be brought to trial, he would be locked up with life imprisonment, at the very least'.

['...']

'Besides, what do you mean, if it was you who killed the city lord's son, why would he have remorse?'