Chapter 19: Search (2)

I headed for the nearest base. Thanks to my lightning mana with the acceleration feature, boosted by a booster spell, moving quickly through the city was a simple task. Although I do not have a high level teleportation spell, which would allow me to instantly reach my destination, my current speed is more than enough to compensate for this lack.

The base I had in mind was located to the west of the intermediate area, right on the border with the outlying area of the city. This location is typical for gangs, as it allows them to operate in the lawless slums, maintaining convenient access to both merchants and the infrastructure of the intermediate area. These areas function as a perfect balance point between the poor peripheral area and the hustle and bustle of the intermediate area, providing an ideal space for illicit activities.

Leaving my musings behind, I continued to approach the specified address. At first glance, the building looked nothing out of the ordinary, especially in comparison to the neighboring structures; it was just another dilapidated three-story building. However, I knew that appearances could be deceiving.

I decided to employ dark mana for the first time in this life. I focused my attention on the container located on my right chest and, by channeling the mana from my body, transformed it into dark mana.

 However, this was not just a simple dark mana; it was also imbued with the characteristic of concealment, a characteristic I had acquired thanks to Lili, Using this dark mana, I created a dark concealment spell, taking full advantage of its properties to make it highly effective.

Although it was still daylight, which was not the ideal environment to activate this type of spell, I decided to make use of the concealment characteristics of the dark element. This peculiarity allowed the spell to work as if it were night, even in broad daylight.

Furthermore, this enhanced version of the spell not only concealed the appearance of the object or person, but also completely eliminated their presence, making them even more difficult to detect. It would require exceptionally keen senses or highly specialized search skills, along with a much higher range than mine, to counter this basic concealment skill enhanced with the concealment feature.

Honestly, I doubted there was anyone powerful enough in these small gangs to spot me, especially when I employed such an advanced feature as this. However, I preferred not to underestimate my opponents and to remain alert at all times.

They are in the business of kidnapping children, but I need to be cautious and not let the same thing happen as last time.

I entered the building through an open second-floor window, keeping my enhanced senses activated. This time, I opted to use presence detection spells instead of just the common mana boost.

This allowed me to meticulously scan the place, and I quickly located a group of children confined to a room on the second floor. I stealthily descended the stairs, unnoticed by the kidnappers guarding the area. The door to the room, although locked, gave way easily to my intervention.

Upon entering, I performed a quick visual sweep of the space, counting a total of ten children. Unfortunately, Chris was not among them. Upon this realization, I deactivated my concealment spell and revealed myself to the little ones, who, surprised, began to fuss. However, I had already secured the environment with a sound barrier.

"Quiet,"

I said firmly, quickly quieting the tumult. I asked if any of them had seen Chris, describing his appearance, but the answers were negative. Internally, I assumed he wasn't there. But the other issue is that I couldn't abandon these kids to their fate so I decided to help them.

"Do you want to get out of here?" I asked.

As expected, they answered in the affirmative. I didn't delay any longer and implemented an area concealment spell, suitable for camouflaging more than twenty people given my current skill level.

"Remain calm and stay close to me. If you do not follow these directions, I will return you to the gang,"

I warned, causing them to adhere to my instructions with obvious anxiety. I had noticed that the rear exit was the least guarded, so we headed for it. A human obstacle blocked the way, but I quickly neutralized the fellow with an accurate blow and moved him out of our way.

Once we were far enough away from the building, I deactivated the concealment spell and faced the expectant gaze of the children, who were now free.

"Now you have two choices: you can either split up here or follow me and join my group,"

I offered, replicating the choice I had presented to other children earlier. Of the ten, only six decided to follow me, a decision I hoped they would not regret. The remainder chose to go their separate ways, and I could only hope that they would not fall into the wrong hands again.

Now, with six new followers, I had to evaluate how to integrate them effectively without compromising our security or the efficiency of our operations.

"What to do," I muttered to myself as I pondered the complications of effectively integrating these young people into our activities without jeopardizing our mission.

Lili, ever thoughtful interrupted my thoughts with a suggestion.

['Why don't you drop them off in an abandoned building and when we rescue Chris the Why don't you drop them off in an abandoned building and when we rescue Chris you pick them up?']

I replied telepathically, 'I can't leave them alone after they told me they would follow me. If they get caught again, I would lose their trust.'

My tone was firm, making clear my refusal to abandon those who had decided to trust me.

Lili, without losing heart, proposed an alternative solution.

['I obviously don't mean just leaving them like that. Create some concealment runes and put them there until we get back.']

'Oh,' I exclaimed, struck by the simplicity and effectiveness of his idea. I felt kind of silly for not having thought of it sooner. Runes, as Lili mentioned, are essentially letters that form a spell, to use a spell you have to learn the runes that make it up, but they can also be written physically, that would allow to secure a temporary shelter for the children without the need of my presence.

Determined, I looked for an unoccupied and safe building in the vicinity. Having found a suitable location, I proceeded to inscribe the runes of concealment, which would turn any space into an area safe and hidden from prying eyes. However, maintaining such spells would require a sustainable energy source be it beast cores, mana stones or something similar; beast cores that could only be acquired from four star beasts or higher but mana stones would be ideal for this purpose.

Too bad I didn't have any, but I had a solution, I accessed the system and browsed the online store, evaluating the prices and availability of the necessary resources. The most affordable cores cost 600 (SP), while mana stones started at 100 (SP). Despite their cost, the investment was necessary; I opted to purchase a four-star dark attribute beast core, known for its compatibility and potency with the dark spells I was using.

The reason I chose this one is because once I am done hiding the children I will use it for another purpose so I am just buying it up front,

Once the purchase was made, Upon entering, I distributed basic supplies to ensure their comfort and immediate survival and proceeded to activate the runes. The energy of the beast core I had acquired pulsed through the inscriptions, creating a veil of invisibility around the shelter.

Finally, before leaving, I said to the children,

"I will be gone for a while. Stay in this room and don't come out until I return." My tone was as serious as my gaze, making sure each of them understood the importance of following instructions to the letter.

With that said, I made my way to the next lairs.