Chapter 34: Emergency Mission

Today was passing like an ordinary hunting day, although there was something remarkable to note: all of the children had ascended to One Star Awakened in the previous day.

Some took close to ten days to reach this milestone, while others achieved it in as little as seven, which was clearly above average. In my case, which only required three days, it should not be considered representative, on the other hand I am still a two-star despite having hunted for the last seven days.

For others, advancing from two to three stars could take months, but I am confident that a few more days of hunting will be enough for me. My speed of progress is astounding thanks to my combat experience, my high-quality equipment, a wide repertoire of spell arts and weapons capable of matching four-star beasts, not to mention my elemental characteristics. My standards are clearly above normal.

Although I have taken down over a thousand creatures up to four stars, the auction is approaching and I have yet to find the place I was looking for. I only have a rough idea of its location and regret not paying more attention to the news item that indicated it, dismissing it as irrelevant to me.

I hope to find it before the end of the month arrives. Today is May 11, and the auction is scheduled for the 31st of this month, so I have almost twenty days left to meet my goals. With that in mind, I set out to hunt beasts.

Currently, my (SP) is 14,200, a result of these hunting days. Scoring points is relatively easy when hunting two- and three-star beasts, especially after upgrading all my equipment to the rank of Initial Arcane Elementalist (4-star), including my spear. This makes it easier for me to take on the beasts.

It was around noon when something out of the ordinary caught my attention. I was about to investigate when something appeared in my field of vision.

-------------------------------------

*Emergency Mission: Child Rescue*.

Description:

The children who went out to hunt beasts are in danger! They have encountered a large number of monsters. Your mission is to come to their aid, protect them from the beasts and bring them back to safety.

Reward:

100 SP for each child warrior rescued.

Double (SP) reward for eliminating monsters.

----------------

While I was reading the mission, my watch rang with an urgent tone. It was Eirlys, who informed me that the children were in a critical situation, outnumbered by a large number of beasts.

 Wasting no time, I set off for the location indicated by my device. I ran as fast as I could, taking advantage of mana acceleration and even making use of teleportations to overcome obstacles or beasts that would stop me.

Although I wished I could teleport directly to the location, my range ability (D) only allowed me to move up to 5 kilometers at a time, an insufficient distance to cover the entire distance. Still, I relied on my speed to get there in time and preserve my mana for the combat ahead.

I wondered why there was a herd of beasts in that area, as there should be no danger there. Keeping that unknown in my mind, I tried my best in my run towards the children.

Agility had become one of my main stats, second only to intelligence. The reason for this emphasis was twofold: saving mana during combat and the flexibility it afforded me during battles as it also improves my dexterity.

After about twenty minutes of intense running, I arrived at the place where the children were and was met with a chaotic scene. Eirlys and Clayton were on the ground, and especially Eirlys was surrounded by a lot of blood, two three-star monsters were targeting four children who were trembling in fear.

Seeing Eirlys injured on the ground, I felt a momentary panic, but before I could react, I saw her get up and stab one of the beasts in the back, finishing it off. This gave me a moment to calmly analyze the situation.

I noticed that Eirlys was using her trait, and confirmed my suspicions: it was the regeneration trait, a high-level trait that allowed her to recover quickly from wounds and enhance her natural mana regeneration ability. It was a skill of great value and multiple uses.

In fact, I was a possessor of the same trait with the light element and tried to awaken it, but for some reason it degraded and instead I awakened healing which is not bad, but regeneration is stronger, I can only assume that one of the reasons for awakening this trait in my previous life was that I mastered many regeneration spells, but all regeneration spells are usually of high rank and with my sealed memories I lacked experience and knowledge.

I just hope to have the opportunity to improve that trait in the future. For the moment, the ring I had given him for cases like this fulfilled its function of hiding the white flames it is difficult to Asser an object that has such a specific function, but it wasn't complicated at all for me that I have the fusion skill that allows me to fuse things like features that are somewhat immaterial with a ring.

Honestly this skill even I don't know what is the logic behind it and maybe I should study it more and see if there is a possibility to have a fusion feature or something like that or create some spells to make it more flexible and varied and understandable.

I put those thoughts away from my head for later and refocused on the situation, I came up with a strategy. I hid from view and let Lili take control of the darkness spells. Meanwhile, I concentrated and recited a series of spells:

"Vital Radiance."

"Beacon of Hope"

"Light of Courage"

"Luminous Strength"

"Radiant Reflection"

"Radiance of Clarity"

"Radiance of Endurance."

These were all mid and higher level (2 and 3 star) elemental spells of the light element, designed to empower the user and their allies. Although they were not particularly powerful, I was able to recite eight of them without difficulty and applied them to the children.

This strengthened them, almost making them equal to two-star Awakenings. I decided not to intervene directly, as I wanted the children to gain battle experience and not depend on me in future situations.

The more challenging the situation, the more they would learn, thus increasing their chances of awakening a special trait and considering the potion I gave them in the morning to make it easier to gain stats must still be working it's better this way, plus as technically I'm supporting them it counts as me contributing so I gain experience and (SP).

Although it might cause them to overestimate in the future later I will clarify and tell them it is due to my intervention with non-elemental boosting spells as well as an effect of the potion I provided them earlier. It may be an explanation with many questionable points, but for some children, it should be enough for the time being.