Chapter 21: Search (4)

As the prisoners absorbed the eerie calm that had succeeded the abrupt chaos, their eyes, filled with fear and confusion, kept scanning the center of the room where the table was located. Though it remained hidden from their perception thanks to my spell, their fear was palpable, as if they sensed that they might be the next to meet a similar fate.

Distracting my attention from the scene of the slaughter, I searched the room meticulously. Then, among a group of children, I spotted him: Chris's distinctive green hair and bright golden eyes stood out in the crowd. A feeling of relief washed over me, but I knew that time was running out. The barrier that was in place is not under my control so I don't know how much time I have until more people come,

Acting with determination and speed, I decided to put my plan into action. Not only Chris, but all the prisoners were to be released. although with fear still on their faces, they seem happy at the possibility of freedom on the other hand, the fate of the locked up beasts was also sealed; their presence was not only a potential danger, but also fueled a black market that needed to be eradicated.

As I released the prisoners, I noticed their weakened state, probably the result of the manipulation and the drug used to keep them under control. The urgency to restore their vitality became apparent, but choosing the right method was crucial. Activating the light element, while effective, carried unnecessary risks; as it is a bit of a special element and would have problems if it reached the wrong ears. Using the dark element is even worse, but with Lili's characteristic it is unnoticeable; even when I use spells, they can be passed off as non-elemental spells. But the glow of light is too obvious, so I didn't know what to do.

In the midst of my dilemma, I remembered a seldom-used but potentially useful ability: the fusion ability. Although its rank was still low, its simplicity could be the key to my current situation. I decided to experiment by fusing the concealment feature with the light element, taking advantage of the inherent neutrality of the features. Initial resistance was evident, given the opposing elements involved, although one was only a part and not the element itself, but I persisted in my attempt.

Finally, the result was a temporary amalgam: a light element imbued with the concealment feature. Although limited in duration, it was sufficient for my immediate purpose. I gathered the prisoners, now numbering about forty people, and pulled several bottles of water from my inventory, added some salt to them, a simple but effective excuse, and offered them each, explaining that this would help mitigate the effects of what they had consumed. No one had either the wit or the courage to probe further.

When I noticed they had all had a drink, I sighed internally. 'Light of clarity,' immediately, a golden dome was created around and bathed the prisoners with light. It was a beautiful sight, it illuminated the cold basement that only had a dim bulb that illuminated only the central area, too bad only me and Lili could see it.

 For the rest it was as if nothing had happened, that's why Lili's characteristic is terrifying, it makes the others almost completely ignore the existence of everything infused with it. When the light stopped shining, in addition to eliminating the effects of the drugs, they also regained their strength. Among the adults there were two who were at the two-star level, just like me.

Other people could not look at a person's level with the naked eye, only if he purposely showed stars or was experienced enough to deduce it from his mana quality. So the men were unsure of my rank and spoke carefully not to offend me, as they saw how I instantly killed a three-star man.

"Excuse me, sir, we thank you for your magnanimity in treating us, but if I may ask, what is your purpose?" The man spoke respectfully and careful not to offend me with his questions, what was funny to me was that the man treated me as someone older, which doesn't bother me as my mental age is higher than him, but it's funny to think that maybe he thinks I'm a little person or a masked dwarf, totally dismissing that I'm a 10 year old boy. Still, I answered him with an authoritative voice and the mask had a tone shifting function, which gave me a very deep voice.

"My purpose is to rescue a child who was kidnapped, but I don't care if you want to escape with me."

Mindful of the pressing time, I proceeded to clear the scene of any hint of my intervention. Carefully, I picked up the inert bodies and removed all traces of blood, a trace that might give away my actions. This meticulous cleaning was not just a precaution; by eliminating the guards in this way, I hoped to sow doubt among the others, perhaps leading the leader to believe that it was his own men who betrayed the cause and facilitated the escape of the prisoners.

While confronting the merchant did not intimidate me, as he probably possessed no greater power than his recently dispatched subordinates, the real threat lay in the possible involvement of higher ups. 

Connection to some nobleman would turn this matter into a high-stakes conflict. Despite my desire to confront the merchant responsible for my own past sufferings, I had to act with caution. Involving the nobility could trigger an unpredictable and dangerous series of events, further complicating the situation.

I finished my work, making sure that no trace of my presence remained. With everything in order, I prepared to retire discreetly, thus avoiding any further complications with local forces or, worse, curious aristocrats. With that last thought, I walked away from the scene.

Lili had already told me that while searching she had found a secret passage, Following Lili's precise directions, I headed toward the wall she had identified. Unlike conventional detection methods, Lili employs a darkness-based spell, a peculiarity that allows her to perceive anomalies that other non-elemental spells would miss. This ability proved invaluable in discerning the existence of a secret passage, hidden behind the seemingly solid structure of the wall.

Upon closer examination, I discovered, not without some classical amazement, that one particular brick acted as an activation mechanism. Pressing it gingerly, the wall gave way, revealing an entrance to a hidden passageway that stretched into the shadows. Although I was unaware of its ultimate destination, logic suggested that, given the owner's illicit business dealings, this corridor probably functioned as an escape route.

We began our journey down the narrow, dark corridor, moving in a straight line for over an hour. The monotony and uncertainty began to generate uneasiness among the rescued, but I remained calm, guiding them safely through the gloom. Finally, the passageway led to a set of vertical stairs ascending to the surface.

Although we were underground by distance and direction, I could assume where we were approximately and then, as we climbed, we noticed that we were in a dilapidated house. It was empty and when we came out, I noticed that, as I thought, we were in the peripheral area, that is, in the slums.