Chapter 65: The Labyrinth

The next day, there was nothing left to do in the city. Together with the children, we set out for the labyrinth. I had already explained to them where we were headed and what they needed to watch out for. I covered them with concealment spells and gave them speed and vitality enhancements so they could withstand the journey on foot. Despite this, even walking all day, we did not reach our destination and had to camp in the swamp.

We spent the night in the open air. As we stood around the campfire and ate, I took advantage of the time to observe the boys' status windows. My skill had improved, and I could now see the windows of those of equal or lesser rank.

As I looked at them, I noticed that they were all at two stars and about to reach three stars. Thanks to enhancement potions, their stats were above the three-star average.

However, I was surprised to see something strange in Chis's window. I concentrated harder to make sure I hadn't made a mistake. Come to think of it, in my previous life I didn't have Divine Eyes when I was Chis's friend, so I was never able to see his status.

Seeing this, I wondered a lot of things. But if he won't tell me anything, it means they don't want it to be known. I won't inquire any further. I'll pretend I didn't see anything, since it's my fault for snooping on someone else's window without their consent.

The next day, we continued our journey. At noon we came to an area of the swamp that had become drier and more lifeless. There was nothing special about the surroundings, so we kept walking.

With my senses alert and keeping hidden to avoid beasts, we finally found the place I was looking for: a dark hole in the ground.

Without hesitation, I went in with the children, who followed me without asking questions. It wasn't very deep, but we continued to move forward. Before my senses detected anything, I intuitively sensed danger.

'Lili.'

['I understand.'] At that moment, Lili began chanting a six-star higher arcane elemental spell, the group version of the Mantle of the Abyss. Now that we are four stars, it is easier for her to chant these spells alone without my help.

When she finished, I used the Eyes of Truth along with clairvoyance to see what was ahead. I could see many people in black and red robes in front of a floating door. They were gathered together and were doing nothing but talking.

I could recognize them: they were from the Blood Moon group, the terrorist organization that caused many events that led humanity to extinction. Apparently, they were planning to enter the labyrinth.

"This is weird. This maze isn't supposed to be completed for another year. Why are those guys here?" I couldn't understand what was going on. I could only think that they found it by coincidence and are destined to fail.

There was something about these mazes that made them unique: when you enter, they adjust your awakened rank to a specific one. It doesn't matter if you're a two-star or an eight-star, if the maze has four stars as a standard, all stats are adjusted to this rank. In addition, they have a fixed number of attempts per year. Once you spend them, all that's left to do is wait.

"Damn, I can't let them use all the quotas." I was worried that they were already using all the quotas for this year.

I concentrated and noticed that everyone there was powerful, approximately six-star, and even some seven- and eight-star. In addition, I could sense one nine-star. This was no ordinary force, they were elite, something I can't face now.

I focused and, relying on concealment, tried to understand what they were saying by reading their lips. It was difficult, but after a while I could more or less understand the situation.

Apparently, the labyrinth has not opened and they are all there are: only seven, but they are strong. Besides, they know nothing about this labyrinth, only that a soothsayer of the organization predicted that there were great riches and opportunities here, and they sent this force that was the closest and most available.

This is not bad. As far as I knew, this labyrinth has a limit of 30 people per year, and between us alone we did not reach twenty. Therefore, it doesn't matter if they get in.

Moreover, it is an opportunity. So I have to think carefully about my next actions. I decided to stay at a safe distance and wait with the guys for the labyrinth to open, which would not be for more than a week, I think.

When we returned the boys who had question on their faces looked at me, but I explained to them that the maze is not yet open and that we had to wait, so now that I have time I will explain what mazes are and why they are called that way.

"guys I have already explained to you what a maze is, but let's review how do you know what you are entering is a maze?" Ask to refirm your knowledge and understanding in case of an emergency.

"yo, yo boss"

"yes Clayton" as always the initiatory Clayton raised his hand to respond.

"boss the mazes are giant floating doorways that appear out of nowhere and if you complete it you can have many treasures"

"well that's the main thing someone else... go ahead Chris" the next one to raise his hand was Chris

"yes big brother the labyrinths are so called because a hundred years ago the first ones literally had a labyrinth inside, they are the tests the Gods give humans to become stronger and you can even become their apostle and gain power, although the labyrinths now are different and not a literal labyrinth it is still called that, only those chosen by the Gods can enter them"

"perfect chis as you know the labyrinths are different from the cracks and dungeons in the actual labyrinths may appear scenes from the past or a fictional scenario for you to test your qualifications and gain recognition from the Deity " I explained to the boys about the labyrinths further with my experience as an example.

"but the one we are going to enter doesn't belong to any Deity and we don't need anyone's permission plus it's harder than others that you just need to have enough strength you need to use everything you have from strategic intelligence to combat ability it can vary a lot between mazes so when we enter we don't know what awaits us so keep that in mind."

I don't know if this maze is really backed by any God, but I have no qualms about using them to roast me stronger, although they can only dream of trying to make me their apostle, I explained to the kids other things about mazes pretending I read it in a book, from what was my experience in others.

Four days passed, and at that time I could feel a change in the surroundings. My Eyes of Truth, which could see the flow of mana, detected how it was accumulating in the direction of the door. I knew this was the phenomenon that only the Eight Labyrinths cause. We hid and I made sure to observe what was going on. I could see that the guys were in front of the door, ready to go in.

When everything calmed down, the door, which seemed bound to space, began to open slowly. The guys in front of it didn't hesitate and jumped inside.

I approached the door and got a closer look at it. It had details as if it told a story through its carvings have always intrigued me, so I took a picture of it.

After taking a good look at it, I fearlessly stepped forward and walked through it with the boys. I told them to join hands and not to separate. As we entered, a golden light invaded everything and blinded us.