Chapter 18: Search

"My first condition is that you adopt me."

"..."

"..."

"..."

An awkward silence formed between me and the man; his expression indicated disbelief at such an unusual proposal under such circumstances. Unfortunately, he wasn't joking.

"Let me clarify so you understand," I began to explain, "I am a child from the outlying area and have no parents. Despite being a two-star desperado, I lack an ID recognizing me as a legal resident." Understanding my situation, the man adopted a calculating expression, as the idea that a child from the slums, with no support, would reach the level of a two-star awakened at such a young age, was worthy of consideration. If he became my legal guardian, that could reap considerable benefits.

"hum...I understand your situation, and if you bring Chris back, I promise to adopt you."

"That's not all; besides, you'll owe me three more favors."

"Don't worry about that, when I'm your father, you won't need to limit yourself. As long as it's something reasonable, you can ask me for anything you want."

The man seemed to be psyching himself up to really adopt me as family, I didn't care as long as it was beneficial, it was fine. After clarifying everything necessary, and my future plans it took him by surprise, but he recognized the opportunity he couldn't pass up if it all turned out to be true. However, before it all began, I first had to rescue his son. I said goodbye, assuring him that it might take a few days and that he shouldn't worry.

[Lux, do you know where that boy is, Chris?] Lili, who had been on my shoulder throughout the conversation, asked. The man, named Christian, didn't notice her since she, being a dark mana entity, could completely hide herself when she activated her concealment ability.

"No, but I have an idea where she might be."

I knew Robin, or rather Chris as he is now called, I knew him in the auction cells in my previous life, just as I did, to a high ranking noble house. As he only possessed the plant element and had no traits , he was treated as just another slave. I suppose his golden eyes were attractive as a collector's item. The point was that I had to track down nearby gangs and hope they hadn't already sold him to a trader, further complicating matters.

Gang members in the area often kidnap children and then sell them to black market dealers who in turn put it up for sale on the black market. If they think any of them might be worth a lot, they put them on the big auction to make more money. That was my case; my double element and one being light made me the main product of the auction.

I remembered a kid like him because years later he attended the academy with me and was actually my friend, but what made him stand out was his talent as an alchemist. It was said that he was going to be the next "Celestial Posionist", but several tragic events prevented that future. Now that I have the opportunity I must avoid those events and take advantage of his talent for the organization I planned to create.

My first step was to look for these guys who seemed to be looking for something Clayton reported. If my assumption was correct, these people were looking for those responsible for eliminating the gang on behalf of the merchant who sponsored them. I assumed they followed the trail to my area. 

I had instructed my group to avoid them as much as possible and, if cornered, they could defend themselves. Although they were not very strong, being only awakened without any stars, the art and mana usage I taught them were enough to put them on equal footing with a normal adult.

After loitering around the area for a while, I saw a suspicious group of three men questioning an old man. They seemed to be who I was looking for.

"Hey, old man, stop bothering the old man and pick on someone your own size," I said, wanting to provoke them into following me. Once they focused their attention on me and noticed I was just a kid, they moved toward me with threatening intentions. Feigning fear, I escaped into a dark alley while making sure I was being chased.

"God protect that child," I think I heard the old man's voice as I fled, but he did nothing; everyone here is minding their own business, and a madman meddling in the affairs of others was destined to die fast. When I felt I was deep enough into the alley, I stopped.

"Heh, I see you gave up on running away, huh. Don't worry, kid, I just want to ask you a few questions."

Even though he said that, he was obviously planning to kidnap me to sell me to the merchant. Although it sounds a bit my appearance is clearly above average maybe that was one of the things that got me captured, but my elements overshadowed everything when they were selling me , Before they could say any more nonsense, I quickly approached the three and with just one punch to each one I knocked them out, leaving only one conscious without knowing what had happened. I hit him in the leg and when he was kneeling I grabbed him by the head and performed a mind weakening spell.

It was a non-elemental spell that put the recipient in a state where he could think of nothing. In this state, all the answers I gave were instantaneous, so it was impossible to lie. So I began to question him. It was just as I thought; the trader who used to buy people from the gang members I eliminated offered a reward to other gangs for information on who had eliminated that group.

I was surprised that a merchant would care about the death of a few simple gang members, but upon further inquiry I learned that apparently the leader was the merchant's younger brother. Understanding this, I asked him if his group had kidnapped a green-haired, golden-eyed boy and he replied that they had not.

Still, I had to make sure; maybe someone else kidnapped him in his group and he didn't know it. After asking him where their base of operations was, I got rid of them. I prowled around for a while longer and upon questioning discovered that there were three gangs that were looking for information, but none of the men I questioned knew Chris' whereabouts, so I had no choice but to visit their headquarters one by one.