Chapter 64: Principles

Yes, Lili was the assassin everyone was looking for. Or rather it was us, The reason why we killed the son of the city lord was because, some time ago, after Lili suggested joining that organization, we started with the only method I know: joining first the assassin's guild which, although nobody knows it yet, is linked to that organization.

In the assassin's guild, as in any other, there are missions to improve your rank and get more money for more difficult missions. When you reach a high enough rank, they try to recruit you. Obviously, they give you some tests before they show themselves as that organization.

This mission was just another one of many, but I took it because I needed to come to the city anyway and it was like killing two birds with one stone.

I tend to accept missions that involve people that I know are corrupt and deserve to be eliminated, or individuals that in the future could become a problem, like the son of the city lord, who would cause big problems in the future and, although no one knows it, was also the cause of the invasion of the beasts and the dragon yesterday.

I always make sure not to kill anyone innocent; that's off limits to me. Once you blur those lines, it's easier to do it again, and if you continue, you end up losing sight of your priorities and principles.

Protecting the world at the expense of all those you swore to protect makes no sense. I will do what I want to do and define it as my principles without being bound by any rules. If you ignore your own principles, you become the same as those you set out to destroy.

You are no different than a monster. You are no different from those you despise. Keeping a clear line between what is important and what I must do is something I will be sure not to forget in this new life.

I don't see myself as someone who represents justice or the right thing to do. I'm just going to do what I think is necessary. What sets me apart from a hero is that he would sacrifice his loved ones for the good of the world, but I would sacrifice the world to protect what I love. I will not make the same mistake twice.

I don't believe in justice; I believe in my own rules and judge by what I believe. If I am wrong, I will bear the weight of my decisions.

['Hey, what are you thinking so hard about? If it was me who killed him and now you owe me one. You have to comply with any of my requests.']

'Ugh... What do you want?'

['Umm... right now nothing. I'm going to save it for the future.']

'...Just try not to overdo it.'

I didn't even want to think about what Lili would ask me. I know she's been upset with me and the accumulated dragon thing lately. Although she said she forgave me, I know she usually holds a grudge and will get revenge eventually.

She has a black heart like her element and piles up grudges. The reason I risked asking Lili is that I couldn't do the assassination outright, and Lili and I discovered some things during the investigation that led us to do it at this specific time.

The act itself was not that difficult. First, when we were in the limo and had passed all the barriers, Lili separated from me and I activated the Doppelgänger ability. She assimilated with him and they hid with several spells in the darkness of the night.

The Doppelgänger ability is not as good now that it is of lower rank, as it only has fifty percent of my strength and can only take simple orders. It is of no use other than to confuse or as a shield during a fight at this rank. But Lili and I, by experimenting, discovered that if she assimilates with the Doppelgänger as she does with me, she can use more strength and control it so that it performs better.

Why go to all this trouble and not have Lili do it on her own? Because Lili can't do a lot of melee stuff even though she has gears in her window.

Her cat form can't change to that of a person, at least not yet. Besides, when she's in Doppelgänger, she can use all my abilities, and teleportation and transformation are abilities she needed.

In addition, I sent him to look for something in Eduardo's room and we discovered that the Doppelgänger can use the storage function of the Gaia system. So I was able to secure what we were looking for

. Also although it seemed that the lights flickered it was Lili forcing a spell on the barriers of the room to take advantage of the moment, Not to mention that what she killed the lord's son with was the Deathblade ability boosted with her new Death trait. That was how the events transpired.

Once she did, I undid the Doppelgänger and she came back to me like it was nothing. Everything was perfect, so much so that I could enjoy the spectacle of so many people blaming each other. I was even willing to help if the person falsely accused was innocent, but everything went pretty much as we planned, so we made a profit and completed the mission.

What I knew about the son of the city lord in my previous life is that he was the owner of a rare species of dragon that was a more powerful variant. I know this because one day the lord's son disappeared, only for years later to be in that organization causing a lot of trouble and terrorism.

I also know that the most likely cause of this invasion was that Edward stole the dragon egg and the angry dragon that almost invaded the city was the mother. I knew this by connecting some dots and memories in my head. I don't know who it was that put that assassination mission in his name, but obviously the guy didn't belong to the organization yet because it would be silly for them to accept assignments for their people.

The second thing I asked Lili to do was to find the dragon egg or the hatchling if it had already hatched, and in my inventory it appeared, so she did all her job perfectly.