Chapter 1: The Last Nightfall

Amidst the rubble and a sea of creature corpses, lies a middle-aged man kneeling on the cold ground. His eyes, lost in the horizon, reflect a mixture of confusion and despair as his hands seem to hold something he will never be able to touch again. Dusk paints the sky in shades of ochre and purple, blurring the line between day and night. The dying light of the sun filters through the clouds, casting elongated shadows across the devastated landscape.

Recalling the events that brought him to this moment, regret and helplessness echo in his mind, as do the last words he heard just moments before all he had left in the world disappeared.

"Live and don't give up, the truth is almost within our grasp, so don't give up and carry on," said the person in the man's arms slowly disappearing. "If I have a soul, I will be with you until the end. You just have to be yourself and continue with that will that I have always admired."

"..."

Tears were falling from his face at the thought that he would not be able to accompany his partner with whom he crossed countless battles, but he refused to leave with a bitter parting, so he forced a smile on his face as he asked his partner as a last wish to smile. "Lux You could smile genuinely for me, I haven't seen you smile genuinely for the past few years," the man , whose tears he thought had dried long ago, shed them as he held his companion in his hands, grasping him tightly as if trying to cling to his existence.

Hearing his partner's request, he tried his best, though just like his tears, his smile had long since ceased to exist, thus showing a smile with tears on his face trying to smile sincerely and yet failing because he could not smile sincerely in this situation, thus failing his partner's request.

But it was still enough for his partner on his deathbed to show a satisfied smile. "You're not good at smiling, but it's enough. I'm happy knowing that these years of fighting and wars together meant something to you. For you to show that kind of expression is the best parting gift," thus showing a genuine smile as if it were a lie the impending death that awaited him.

"I hope you live to the end and that in that end you find the answers to our questions and the hope not to give up." Disappearing almost completely, thus leaving only the ability to speak, he spoke his last words before it was too late. "Remember, people only die if they are forgotten. You have a part of me in you, so don't forget me." Finding it hard to keep speaking, he said his final goodbye. "May the light of our time together dispel the darkness of the road ahead," thus disappearing completely.

"..."

With so many words unstuck in his throat, he slowly stood up and understanding that the events that had occurred were real, regret and guilt at not being able to say anything to his partner on his deathbed washed over him, and memories he thought were not significant now weighed on his conscience. Still, he accepted the reality of the situation as it was not the first time he had lost something important to. He lost count of how many he saw die, how many he swore to protect and the promises that he would never lose anyone again, but they were only empty words he could never keep. 

 "Hah..." a bitter laugh left his mouth at the thought that he had nothing left to lose, reminding him of the truth of the situation. He raised his weapon in preparation for the battle still in progress. In front of him was a humanoid being that had large horns on its head with an imposing stature and an upright posture that denoted confidence. Its skin, or what appeared to be skin, had a dark hue and was covered in intricate patterns, resembling magical tattoos that glowed faintly with a light of their own. However, upon closer inspection, there is a texture similar to that of ancient metal suggesting a fusion of flesh and metal.

Its limbs, muscular and agile, appear to be protected by a kind of natural armor. This armor is not metallic nor does it resemble any known material. Rather, it appears to be an organic extension of its own being, with. The mouth is covered by a face mask that seems to merge with his skin, forming a neutral but impenetrable expression that looked at him witnessing all the events that occurred without moving, as if waiting for the man to be ready for combat and have no interference in his duel.

He said with a deep voice taken from hell itself: "Human, I admire your ability. I never thought that in this world there was anyone who could match me and give me so much trouble, so I will grant you the honor of dying at my hands," he said arrogantly, which was justified due to his strength, as well as the thousands of creatures still at his back.

Still, knowing that the odds were against him, the man did not give up and took steps forward with an unwavering will. The demon, seeing this, made a small smile invisible to all present and drew his weapon, thus initiating the last stand of humanity, which had only a single representative left.

With the evening sky, he pointed his spear towards the demon and what was left of the army. With the rumble of lightning, he charged forward to fulfill the promise he made to his companion at the beginning of his journey. Thus began the battle that had already lost its meaning ase much but he could not quit not with the weight and will of the many who fell.