Chapter 5

Kio didn't know how but she immediately got starstruck by their bookworm of a classmate. At first, she wasn't even shown to be interested in anyone in her class, except for wanting to befriend MJ and Gaille because she thought they look cool.

It wasn't 'til the day she decided to try the coffee from their school café next to the library, a glass door separating each rooms along with soundproof walls, where she saw Mackenzie, or Madi as her classmates calls her, sitting down alone while reading a book with facial expression changing from time to time. Kio thought na baka dahil lang 'to sa binabasa niya.

Kio was definitely in awe as she never saw anyone so expressive, especially when reading a book. This goes to show that Madi was fully invested in it, which again, caught Kio's interest. Sino pa ba sa panahon ngayon ang magiging sobrang interesado sa pagbabasa?

Being surrounded in an environment where it's always chaotic, in a good way, seeing Madi just being in her own little world seems like a breath of fresh air for Kio. Looking at Madi feels like she's at peace.

She never wanted to sound and look like a creep, she just never had the courage to approach Madi like a normal person would. Call it cliché, but Kio thinks na masyadong magkaiba ang mundo nila ni Madi.

But even so, it never stopped crossing her mind on how it feels to be Madi's friend, companion... or even a partner. Gusto niyang malaman if there are more into Madi than just a typical bookworm who enjoys reading in peace.

"Tinititigan mo na naman si Madi 'no, Kio?" A voice interrupted her thoughts.

Kio looked up to see none other than her good friend from another strand, Jordyn Robles— a student who values her studies more than anything but can also manage her time to hang out with her friends, nakikisama pa minsan sa kalokohan ni Kio.

"Why don't you just approach her? Mabait naman si Madi ah." Jordyn added.

"Hindi naman kasi gano'n kadali, bai. Kung oo edi matagal ko na siyang nilapitan." Sagot ni Kio.

"Nahihiya ka lang kasi. Pero promise, once na maging comfy ka na sa presence niya and kapag mas nakilala mo siya, basic na lang makipag-usap sa crush mo."

"I supposed so. Pero saka na 'yon siguro kapag kasing-tapang ko na 'tong kape na iniinom ko."

Natawa naman si Jordyn sa sinabi ni Kio. "Edi ano pang hinihintay mo? Magkasing-tapang na kayo ng kape mo oh."

"Ha?"

"Latte 'yang iniinom mo, tanga. 10% kape lang 'yan."

"Ay sabi ko nga. Pero gets mo na point ko!"

"Oo na. Gets kong torpe ka, bading."

Sinamaan ng tingin ni Kio si Jordyn. "Palibhasa 'di mo alam ano feeling ng magka-crush eh. Kasal ka kasi sa pag-aaral mo."

Jordyn shrugged. "At least beneficial kasi sa pag-aaral ako invested. And speaking of pag-aaral, una na 'ko, BB. Hinihintay pa ko ni Iya sa library."

"Tigilan mo nga 'yang BB na 'yan, ambantot puta."

"Bakit? Name mo 'yan ah." Jorydn laughed. "Pogi pogi mo kasi tapos ipapangalan lang sa'yo Phoebe."

"Kaya nga Kio gusto kong itawag sakin, diba? Umiinit ulo ko sa'yo, Jo! Umalis ka na nga."

"Eto na nga HAHAHAHA. See you, Kio! Balitaan mo ko 'pag kayo na ni Madi."

"Leche!"

---

Peaceful; a room perfect for Madi Ricalde to read books in her own quiet and little space.

As much as she loves to hangout with her friends and all, with "friends" only being Allianah Arceta, her academic achiever bestie who always seem to bury face in books. Well, Madi does as well but she prefer to read stories than those used for studying like what Allianah reads.

She just gets lost in the story, that's how invested she is when reading. She even unconsciously expresses her emotions depending on what she's reading. Perhaps, it's a good thing that there are only few people who comes in the library or else they would've been weirded out by Madi's strange habit.

"Still reading that book again, Kenzie?" A girl spoke to her, causing her to stop from reading.

"Ate Yana! Yeah, it's my first time reading a book with psychological standpoints. I can't seem to get enough of it."

Allianah sat down in front of Madi. Despite interrupting the latter's reading, Madi gave a bright smile to the older as her finger served as a bookmark for the page she was reading.

"Psychological book, huh? How was it so far?"

"Maganda, ate! It really gives me a lot of perspective about life. Like, for example, may mga bagay talaga sa buhay na mas nagiging better if you won't give an f-word about it."

Allianah chuckled. "Of course, Kenz. But you shouldn't forget to also be more aware of the important things in life. Hindi lahat ng bagay dapat dinededma mo lang. Try your best to make a change. Small steps and progress man, at least you can't say na you didn't try."

"I understand your viewpoint, ate Yana. Very wisely speaking. Syempre naman we need to keep that in mind. Nakakalungkot lang na people nowadays talagang walang pakielam sa nangyayari sa paligid nila."

"Right? I guess some people just live their lives to the fullest. Not saying it's a bad thing, but they also need to pay attention to the world they lived in."

"True! Which is why I kind of love this book na, ate. It teaches us na we should really give value of what truly matters in life and pay no attention to those things that doesn't."

Nagpatuloy sa pag-uusap sila Allianah and Madi about their shared values in life. Hindi rin naman malalakas boses nila so even with the library being quiet, hindi naman sila sinusuway ng librarian.

With Madi talking about what she have read in the book so far and Allianah sharing her own perspectives, pareho silang nagkakasundo sa mga bagay na connected dito; the same reason why they've become friends in the first place.

"Drop the 'ate' na, Kenzie! Magkaibigan naman tayo."

Both Allianah and Madi laughed. They were then interrupted when the former's phone vibrated.

"Sorry pala if 'di ako masyadong magtatagal, Kenz! I have to meet up with Jordy pa for our study session."

"Alam ko naman 'yon ate– I mean, Yana. I know how you prioritize your study talaga. Witness din ako ng mga sacrifices mo just for that 'no."

Allianah gave her a weak smile, remembering what happened in the past. "Yeah. I guess ganyan talaga 'pag sobrang invested sa pag-aaral."

Madi noticed the slight change of Allianah's mood and quickly realized what she said. "Oh... sorry, Yana. I didn't mean to—"

"No need to apologize, Kenz! I know you mean well naman. And yes, I guess it was for the best na rin. Don't worry, I'm not offended or hurt or anything!"

"Sorry talaga, Yana. I'll try to be more cautious next time."

"'Wag mo nang isipin 'yon, Kenz. Trust me, I've gotten over it naman na." Allianah opened her arms and gestured Madi for a hug, assuring her that everything is fine.

Madi reciprocated and hugged Allianah for a few seconds before breaking the embrace.

"I'll get going na, Kenzie. Ayoko naman paghintayin masyado si Jordy. See you tomorrow!"

"See you, Yana! Take care and do well sa studies!"

With that, lumabas na si Allianah sa library, leaving Madi alone again.

"Yana has JC as her study buddy. Convenient na rin for her because they're in the same strand. Plus, they share both interests in learning talaga."

Madi sighed as she flipped the book to the next page.

"How nice would it be to have my own companion when it comes to reading din kaya?"

***