Chapter 38

Serena and Gaille managed to go home, the latter's to be specific, before the rain started pouring even heavier than earlier.

Gaille shook the excess rain water on her umbrella before folding it again and taking it with her inside the house. Usually she would just leave it outside their porch to dry. But since it's raining heavily, along with a strong wind, it would just get soaked even more if she left it there.

"You can just keep your shoes. I'll mop the floor after we dried up." Gaille stated, placing her bag on the couch.

"Hindi na, Gaille! Maputik 'yung ilalim ng shoes ko. Madudumihan pa sahig niyo." Serena rejected but Gaille shook her head and still insisted.

"Just sweep it over the rug. I'll take care of the mess later."

Siyempre kung mapilit si Gaille, mas mapilit si Serena. She removed her shoes despite the older's words, walking inside the house with her socks on.

Gaille just sighed knowing she cannot win over the younger.

"I'll bring us some towels. Make yourself at home."

Gaille went upstairs to her room to get some clean towels to dry themselves up. Meanwhile, just like she said, Serena wandered around the house, mesmerized by the place.

"It's a little bigger than ours but it's so neat and clean." Serena thought, her eyes looking at every aspect of Gaille's home.

Her eyes settled down onto a picture frame at the display table in the living room.

Serena approached it slowly and picked it up, after wondering if it's okay to even hold something fragile like this.

The picture shows a young Gaille in between her parents, holding both of their hands together, having that wide smile plastered on her face.

"Only child nga lang pala siya." Serena thought, smiling as she stared at the picture. "She looks so happy. They all do. Bakit kaya nagawa ng tatay niya na mag-cheat?"

Gaille finally went downstairs, holding two towels for Serena and herself.

She saw how entranced the younger was looking at the picture frame she'd always despise looking at.

"Serena." She called, making Serena look at her.

The younger quickly placed the frame down, looking apologetic at Gaille. "Sorry kung nakikialam ako.".

"It's okay." Gaille assured her. "That photo's irrelevant to me anyway. Here, let me."

Gaille placed one of the towels on the couch before putting the other one over Serena's head, wiping the excess rain water on her hair.

"Sorry if my umbrella was too small. Nabasa pa rin tayo even though it's supposed to keep us dry from the rain." Gaille chuckled, gently drying Serena's hair.

"Okay lang, Gaille. At least we got here safe," Serena replied, smiling as she held the towel in place. "Thank you for letting me stay for a bit."

"Nah, it's nothing. It's better than letting you walk home in this weather." Gaille said, her tone softening.

Serena couldn't help but smile. Bukod kasi sa sobrang alaga siya ngayon ni Gaille, somehow she became soft-spoken than usual.

"You're really gentle today." She spoke, making Gaille pause.

"Am I?" Gaille questioned.