~Chapter 1~

TW, mentions of abuse

"I'll come back soon," Alina Nightshade whispers to Barty.

Barty, a year younger than Alina, has been her friend for many years. Now, it is time for her to leave for Hogwarts.

"You promise?" Barty whispers back.

They stand in the dimly lit halls of Nightshade Manor. Alina's father, Sebastian, is meeting with Barty's father just before her departure.

Alina is certain her father has forgotten she is leaving. But her mother hasn't.

"I promise," Alina replies, forcing a small, comforting smile.

It will be her last smile for a while, she knows. The only time she feels any genuine emotion is with Barty.

Alina flinches as Barty hugs her. She is unaccustomed to gentle touch, only knowing hits and slaps.

"Go wait outside the meeting room, or your father will be upset," Alina says, pulling away from the embrace.

Barty nods, his wide blue eyes filled with worry.

Alina can't muster another smile as he walks away to wait outside the meeting room. She picks up her packed trunk, waiting for her mother to arrive.

"Alina," Lilian Nightshade's voice is cold as she approaches down the hall.

The hallway is lit by candles, casting a warm, golden glow that contrasts sharply with the manor's usual gloom.

"Mother," Alina says, her voice steady.

Lilian's blonde, almost white hair frames her face in tight curls. Her deep red lips and sharp eyebrows add to her severe appearance. Her eyes are a blend of green and brown.

Alina shares many features with her mother—the same shade of hair, the same nose, the same eyebrows.

Alina knows her mother hates that.

Hates that her daughter is an abomination, a disappointment from birth.

A Seer.

It doesn't help that they originally thought she was a boy. To them, having a son who is a Seer would have been far better than having a daughter be a Seer.

Their eyes are the only difference. Lilian's are more green, while Alina's have green centers ringed with blue.

"I want no visions this year," her mother hisses, grabbing Alina's wrist tightly. "The only person who will know is Dumbledore, do you understand?"

"Yes, Mother," Alina replies automatically, barely registering the words as Lilian's sharp nails dig into her pale skin.

But she knows what her mother means.