~Chapter 38~

Time skip to December 12th

Alina's eyes trail over the books in front of her. She is in class, the period right before lunch, and her mind wanders as the monotony of the school day weighs on her.

The constant cycle of classes has become a dull routine, but at least the holiday break is approaching. She looks forward to the respite, even if her plans are limited to some extra schoolwork.

She and Barty never exchange gifts; it feels too fake. So, Christmas for Alina is uneventful. If she were home, her mother might buy her new clothes, but they are never to her taste.

A loud noise breaks her thoughts.

"Sorry," Peter Pettigrew mutters as he picks his book off the floor, offering a nervous smile.

They sit beside each other in class. A few days ago, it was his birthday. Alina swiped some candy from Barty and secretly gave it to Peter. He was profusely grateful, though Alina isn't even sure why she did it.

The lesson for the day has ended early, but the professor insists they use the time for other classwork instead of leaving.

"They should use aconite," Peter mumbles to himself as he reads through his potions book.

Alina turns her head, intrigued. "Aconite?" she asks. "That's way too dangerous in large quantities."

Peter looks up, surprise evident on his face, likely because she is speaking to him.

"But it would work much better," he replies, his eyes wide with excitement.

"Valerian root works just as well in a calming potion," Alina counters.

Peter shakes his head. "Valerian root is common. It works, but if people take it too much, it loses its effectiveness."

Alina narrows her eyes at the Gryffindor boy, his enthusiasm palpable. "Aconite is dangerous. One wrong move, and it becomes lethal."

"Exactly!" Peter sits up straighter, his voice louder. "That's why it's perfect. If we could control it, the potency would be unparalleled. Plus, aconite has properties that enhance the calming effects by targeting the nervous system more directly." He is smiling now, genuinely excited.

Alina opens her mouth, ready to argue, when the professor announces that class is over.

She and Peter pack up their desks quickly. Peter seems happier than usual, his typical nervousness replaced with enthusiasm.

They leave the classroom quickly, joining the throng of students heading towards the Great Hall for lunch. Alina and Peter walk side by side.

"You forgot the part that aconite can cause paralysis or death with the wrong dosage," Alina says, finally addressing his earlier comment.

Peter turns to her with a smile as they round the corner, nearing the Great Hall. "That's why you'd have to dose it perfectly. It would take some trial and error."

"Trial and error?" Alina echoes. "You mean a trial of testing it and potentially killing people?"

Peter freezes slightly. "Okay, maybe not," he sighs, looking forward as they reach the Great Hall.

"Come and sit with me," Alina says, her tone leaving no room for argument. "I want to hear more about what you think."

Peter stares at her with a shocked expression. "Really?" he asks, a note of excitement in his voice.

"Yes. And I'll stop the others from poisoning your food," Alina says flatly. She turns and heads towards the Slytherin table, hearing Peter quickly follow.

"Poison?" Peter asks, trailing behind her.

Alina ignores him. She sits down at the end of the table, and Peter hesitantly takes a seat opposite her, casting nervous glances at the Slytherin students who are staring at him.

"Ignore them," Alina says. "They have nothing better to do than stare."

"Right..." Peter nods slightly, looking at the plate in front of him.

"Do you truly think aconite is the best choice?" Alina asks, bringing the conversation back to their earlier topic. She isn't sure why she feels like talking so much today. Maybe she is getting sick. She hates people, hates conversations, and hates James Potter and his friends.

She pushes the thoughts away. If she is getting sick, she'll deal with it later and never talk to Peter again.

Peter nods as he puts some food on his plate. "Definitely. Its potency is unmatched."

"Isn't aconite a bit dangerous?" Barty Crouch Jr. says as he sits down beside her, shooting a small glance at Peter.

Evan Rosier takes a seat beside Peter, giving him a blank look before facing forward.

Peter seems tense and nervous.

"It is," Alina replies, giving Barty a look that says not to scare Peter off.

Peter shrugs when Barty looks at him.

"Ignore him," Alina says, glaring at Barty before looking back at Peter. "Barty won't do anything."

"Unless you want me to," Barty says, grinning as he leans across the table.

Alina rolls her eyes, ignoring Barty's comment. But her eyes soon catch something else. James Potter is staring at them from the Gryffindor table, his eyes glued to Peter.

Merlin, James Potter is weird.

~~~

Alina counts the stones on the wall, growing slightly impatient as she waits for Remus. He isn't late per se, but she has already been there for a few minutes. Of course, she arrived early, hoping to avoid falling asleep in her dorm.

"I'm not late!" Remus calls out as he reaches her.

"For once," Alina replies, turning to the left to begin their route.

"For once," Remus agrees, falling into step beside her.

Their patrol is silent that night, the only sounds being their footsteps echoing in the empty corridors.