~Chapter 41~

Alina grabs a book from her desk—a simple guide on basic potions

Alina grabs a book from her desk—a simple guide on basic potions. She turns toward her full-length mirror, glancing at her reflection in the standard school uniform.

What is she doing?

Why is she checking her appearance?

All she's doing is giving a potions book to James Potter before he leaves for the holiday break.

She freezes, realizing how absurd this all is. She must be losing her mind. Forcing herself to look away from the mirror, Alina tightens her grip on the book.

Leaving her dorm, she pauses at the common room entrance, ensuring it's empty before stepping out. A chill lingers in the air, even within the dungeon walls. She moves swiftly, her footsteps echoing through the stone corridor as she makes her way toward the stairs.

The candles lining the hall cast flickering shadows, illuminating her path as she climbs stair after stair until she reaches the doors leading to the carriages that will soon take students home.

Scanning the bustling crowd near the entrance, she sees students saying their goodbyes, some lingering inside to avoid the biting cold outside.

"Alina!" Marlene McKinnon's voice rings out from behind. Alina instinctively hides the potions book behind her back as she turns around.

Marlene stands there with a grin, her eyeliner smudged as usual.

"Marlene," Alina acknowledges, noticing Lily Evans beside her, who offers a gentle wave and a warm smile. "Have a good break."

"It would be better if you were there," Marlene teases, her smirk playful.

Alina raises an eyebrow at the Gryffindor girl.

Marlene has a habit of flirting with every girl she encounters.

"Stop it, Marlene," Lily chides, a slight blush coloring her cheeks as she tugs Marlene's arm.

"What? She's hot," Marlene quips as Lily pulls her away.

Alina rolls her eyes and turns back, scanning the crowd for a certain Gryffindor boy.

"Sunshine!" James Potter appears in front of her, his eyes gleaming with mischief.

"Potter," Alina responds, her tone as flat as ever. She notices Remus and Sirius a few feet away, whispering to each other, but Peter is nowhere in sight.

"Here." Alina thrusts the potions book into James' hands. "Just because it's holiday break doesn't mean you get to slack off. I expect you to study."

James frowns slightly at the book, then looks back at her. "Can't believe my favorite Slytherin is giving me homework over the holidays," he mutters, shaking his head.

Alina shoots him a sharp glare. "You better read it."

"I will, I will," James sighs, but his expression suddenly brightens as if he remembers something. He quickly shoves the book into his bag and begins rummaging through it.

A moment later, he pulls out two pieces of pomegranate candy, each wrapped neatly.

"Here," James says, holding them out with a casual grin.

Alina stares at the candy, caught off guard. He got her something?

"What's this for?" she asks, reaching out to take the sweets, her usual composure faltering.

"Christmas present," James replies, his grin unwavering.

"I didn't get you anything," Alina murmurs, instinctively extending the candy back to him, but James doesn't take it.

Instead, he takes a small step back, making it impossible for her to return the gift. "I don't care," he says simply.

Alina feels a wave of discomfort, like she might be sick, but she tightens her grip on the candy, bringing it closer to her chest.

"Have a good break, Potter," is all she can manage to say.

James' grin widens. "You too, sunshine." He turns and rejoins his friends, the group slowly making their way toward the door that leads outside.

Alina glances down at the candy in her hand before turning to head back to her common room, trying to push her thoughts aside.

~~~~~

Sorry for the short chapter!! Guys I fear these hurricanes WONT STOP COMING😭😭😭