~Chapter 27~

It is the next night, and Alina is waiting for Remus Lupin so they can begin their patrol

As usual, he is late. Alina taps her fingers once, twice, three times as she waits for his presence. Then she remembers—the full moon is tomorrow night. A slight feeling of panic stirs in her chest.

No.

Panic over what?

Alina doesn't know, but she isn't going to accept that she feels panicked. Maybe Remus won't show up, and she'll understand why. She slowly turns to her right, about to take a step to walk away when she hears footsteps coming from the left.

Alina turns to see Remus slowly walking down the hall. She waits for him to catch up.

"Sorry," Remus says, his voice low as they begin their route.

Alina doesn't reply, keeping silent as they walk. He is favoring his left leg again, hesitating before each step he takes with his right one.

He is in pain.

Remus tries to mask each wince with every step. Alina feels a strange need to study his pain, wondering if it is always present but worsens near the full moon.

There is no way she is going to ask, though. That means conversation.

Remus doesn't seem in the mood for talking either. Their patrol is silent the entire time.

When they finish, Remus walks away without a word, just a small wave before he heads back to his common room.

Alina tilts her head at his fading figure down the hall. Then she turns and begins making her way to the potions room.

It is too close to the full moon to make Wolfsbane Potion, but she can brew a potion to help with the pain.

Alina isn't sure why she feels the need to do this, but she quickly shoves the thought away as she opens the door to the potions room. It is empty. Professor Slughorn isn't there.

She steps inside, gently shutting the door behind her. The room is dark, the candles extinguished at this late hour.

Alina takes out her wand, gently muttering a spell to light up the tip as she makes her way to the wall of ingredients. She quickly begins grabbing what she needs.

She has a cauldron in her room and knows how to make the potion.

Alina is part of the Slug Club. It doesn't matter much to her, but it helps secure connections. At least, that's what her mother says.

She is reaching for the last ingredient when the door creaks open and shuts quickly.

Slowly, Alina turns, debating whether to glare or feign innocence.

"Sunshine?" James Potter's voice comes from a few feet away, and he approaches until his face is visible in the light of her wand.

"Sneaking around, Potter?" Alina shifts the ingredients in her arms to sit more comfortably as she takes in James's flushed face and heavy breath.