~Chapter 11~

Make sure you're on the right chapter!! I think wattpad glitched again💔

"You can do this yourself," Alina repeats for the third time as she applies another coat of nail varnish to Barty's nails.

"Yeah, I know, but you do them better," Barty replies. Both she and Regulus roll their eyes.

The three of them are in the Slytherin common room. Alina was on her way to the library when Barty asked her to paint his nails, again.

For some reason, she said yes.

"There," Alina says with a sigh, leaning back. "Don't mess them up. I'm not doing them again."

"Lia," Barty pleads, his eyes wide and earnest.

"Have Regulus paint them next time," she says with a smirk, noting the flush on both their faces. "Goodbye now." Alina grabs her bag and leaves the common room.

She needs a book on advanced potions and makes her way to the library.

The halls are quiet, with few students about. The library is even quieter, candles casting a warm glow throughout. Alina walks between the shelves, searching for her book.

Everything in Hogwarts seems to have a warm glow to it, a comforting warmth.

Alina sometimes wishes she can take that warmth with her.

Those nights when her parents shove her into the basement are cold and dark. At first, she fought, trying to find a way out. Eventually, she gave up, curling into herself in the corner and hoping they'll remember her by morning.

It is especially cold during the holiday break when she can see snow from the basement windows. The chill settles into her bones, causing her to shiver until she passes out.

Somehow, her parents always get her out before she develops hypothermia.

Alina forces herself to snap out of her thoughts.

There is no reason to dwell on what happens each summer. At least this year she will stay at Hogwarts during the break. Maybe she'll even make some dessert for herself in the kitchens.

She sighs as she finally finds the shelf full of books on potions.

Her eyes scan the titles, stopping near the top.

The book she needs is just out of reach, and they aren't allowed to use magic in the library anymore, not since the Marauders knocked over several shelves last year.

Alina takes a few steps back, keeping her eyes on the book.

"Need a hand, sunshine?" James suddenly appears, leaning against the bookshelf.

Alina glares. "If I say yes, will you leave me alone?" She tilts her head slightly, her slightly curled hair swaying.

James smirks, his eyes shining brightly, his skin a bit flushed. His messy hair hangs in front of his face, touching the frames of his glasses.