~Chapter 29~

Make sure you're on the right chapter!! I think wattpad glitched again💔

Alina has been up for an hour, woken once again by her own screams.

She is fairly certain people think the common room is haunted due to her nightly outbursts, though no one can ever pinpoint their origin.

Her eyes fixate on the flickering candle before her.

Despite being ready for the day, she lingers, reluctant to leave.

The candle's flame dances, casting shadows across her desk. Tilting her head, her hair shifts gently.

Without thinking, she extends her hand toward the flame, hovering her palm above it. A warmth spreads over her skin, intensifying as she moves closer.

Abruptly, she pulls her hand back, snapping out of her trance.

A small sigh escapes her lips before she blows out the candle with a sharp breath. She grabs her bag and leaves her dorm. A few Slytherins are scattered around the common room, most preparing to head to breakfast in the Great Hall.

Alina taps the strap of her bag—once, twice, three times—as she walks. Her blank eyes stare straight ahead.

Tired.

Is she tired? She supposes so.

But she is always tired. Sleepless nights are her norm, often going days without rest until she eventually just... passes out.

Sometimes that means lying down and sleeping; other times, it means collapsing onto the floor. Thankfully, it has only ever happened in her dorm.

Except for once, in front of Barty.

He was quite worried.

Alina snaps out of her thoughts as she enters the Great Hall, already bustling with early morning chatter. She quickly makes her way to the Slytherin table. Barty hasn't arrived yet, but she spots Pandora at the Ravenclaw table.

Alina sits down at the end of the table, placing her bag beside her and staring at the food.

Pomegranates.

She reaches for one just as someone sits down in front of her. Her hand freezes, and her gaze lifts.

James Potter.

Memories of his infuriating behavior fill her mind.

"Potter," Alina greets him coolly, completing her move to grab a pomegranate and pulling it back to her plate. "Why are you sitting here?"

James, surprisingly put together in his uniform, with a neat tie, properly adjusted glasses, and less messy hair, grins at her. "Because you look so kind and approachable, I thought I'd sit down," he says with sarcasm.