~Chapter 8~

"We need to work on the research paper," Alina says bluntly to James Potter

"We need to work on the research paper," Alina says bluntly to James Potter. "I've already written some of it."

They are in Transfiguration class, but Professor McGonagall has instructed them to focus on their project.

James nods in agreement, his hands fidgeting on the desk. He doesn't have his glasses, which makes his face look a bit strange without them.

Alina takes out her notes, mostly an outline of what they can include in the paper.

James squints at the paper, leaning closer to read it. "You have to keep the leaf in your mouth for a month, not a week, sunshine," he says, pointing to one of the lines with a small smile.

Alina chooses to ignore the nickname, her eyes narrowing. "It says a month on there."

"Oh," James frowns at the paper, squinting again.

"Just tell me what you know about Animagus transformations, and I'll write it down. Then we can plan the paper and write it," Alina says, trying to calm her frustration.

"That's a lot of steps," James remarks, staring at her. Alina leans away slightly.

"Where are your glasses?" Alina asks as he continues to lean closer to the paper.

James blinks and leans back. "I broke them. And my second pair. And my third. I have to bring them to Madam Pomfrey to fix them," he explains, his knee bouncing under the table.

Alina rolls her eyes and pulls the parchment closer to her. "Tell me what you know, I'll write it down."

James shares what he knows, though he often goes off topic, rambling about Quidditch. Alina has grown to hate Quidditch.

"Potter," she snaps, "I do not care about how the Snitch was made. This is the third time you've gone off topic."

"Sorry," James mumbles, reaching to adjust his non-existent glasses before letting his hand fall back to the desk.

He says sorry more in a day than she has in her entire life. Alina can count on one hand the number of times she has ever apologized.

James Potter doesn't seem nervous, just restless, as if he has so much energy he needs to get it out by fidgeting or rambling. It is quite annoying. He will not stop moving.

Alina tries her best to jot down only the important information, constantly steering James back on topic.

Just as she is about to snap at him again, the world goes silent. The noise of other students fades into the background, and her vision goes white. Alina squeezes her eyes shut, gripping the quill so tightly it might break.

A vision.

"Crucio!" a loud voice yells.

Alina finds herself disembodied, a floating speck of dust in the air. She scans the scene, catching sight of a group of masked figures.