~Chapter 40~

Alina scans the shelf in front of her, hoping to find a book that piques her interest

Alina scans the shelf in front of her, hoping to find a book that piques her interest. She is in the library, but nothing seems to catch her eye.

Her blank stare settles on the rows of books. Today, everything and everyone seems particularly stupid, an irritation simmering within her and amplifying her usual disdain.

"Did you hear what Snape said?" a whispered voice reaches her ears from a few feet away.

Raising an eyebrow, Alina slightly turns her head, her blond hair shifting against her shoulders. Two students stand nearby, their conversation too intriguing to ignore.

"No," the other student replies, placing his book back on the shelf before facing his friend. "What happened?"

"This morning, he called that Evans girl a..." the student lowers his voice, "a mudblood."

Alina's eyes dart back to the shelf. Severus is a boy she rarely interacts with, their paths seldom crossing in class.

Weren't Severus and Lily friends? Wasn't Lily his only friend? So why would he call her that?

It doesn't matter, Alina decides. Calling someone a slur is wrong. She'd admit that in her first year, she had thought such things, but she never voiced them. Even at eleven, she found it stupid.

Now, older and more aware, she finds blood supremacy utterly ridiculous. It stems from jealousy, the fear that Muggle-born witches and wizards could surpass purebloods in magical prowess.

Alina's upbringing is steeped in blood supremacy, but her visions have shown her its stupidity. She has seen too many deaths over such a senseless ideology.

Snapping out of her thoughts, she feels a surge of anger. How dare Severus Snape, a half-blood himself, call Lily Evans a mudblood. Hypocrite.

Determined, Alina grips her bag tightly and quickly leaves the library. First, she wants to find Lily Evans. Even if they aren't really friends, she still wants to make sure she is alright.

Yes, Alina isn't friends with Lily, or anyone for that matter. She keeps that in mind as she hurries down the hall.

For some reason, this year feels different. Her normal life has slipped out of her grasp, and she finds herself forced to be around people she doesn't even want to be friends with.

Turning a corner, she bumps into someone, her fast pace preventing her from noticing them in time.

"Woah!" James Potter's deep voice startles her. He takes a step back, his hand hovering near her arm but not quite touching it, as if he has instinctively reached out to steady her but stoped upon realizing it was her. "Sunshine!" James beams at her.

He seems...sweaty. Insane, considering it is freezing outside. Pieces of his dark hair stick to his forehead, and his chest heaves as if he has just been running. His glasses are slightly askew, as usual.