Chapter 47

Riley had been in my house for a month now. It's been such a delight having her around. I thought the house would be upside down by now but we only argue about dishes, it's even minor arguments because I would not want her to feel unwelcome. Mom bought her an iPhone and dad bought her clothes. Kylie bought her really cute slippers but she returned them because she said she was treating her like charity.

"Kylie is like that, just because she is super rich, she spends money for all her friends. She even bought me this robe. She was pretty hurt when you returned the slippers, she thinks you don't like her." I told Riley the other day. She went to apologize to Kylie after that.

As for school, she had been hanging out with us during lunch and we've all been getting along pretty well.

I hadn't hung out with Janine in a very long time because my focus was on creating an unbreakable bond with Riley.

We handed in Martha's project and we were still waiting for our grade. I hope that we get a good grade, I wasn't really a good writer. We were approaching the end of the semester.

It was Tuesday and it was a public holiday and Henry asked me to meet him at the mall. It sounded urgent but he said that I would be happy with the news that he was going to tell me, which made me excited and super curious. I woke up in a really great mood that day.

I took an Uber to the mall.

"Hey." I said as I sat down next to him.

"Hi." He said, his fingers intertwined in front of him.

"How are you?"

"I'm good. You want to order something? I already ordered the blueberry soda for you, I hope that's okay."

"Yes it is. Where's the waiter, I'm hungry and I could use that chili wrap that they have here, it's my favorite."

"I'm ordering the same thing." He said and I smiled, thinking about how we had so much in common.

The waiter brought my soda and Henry's glass of water, then we told him what food we'd be having.

I gulped on my soda, I was so thirsty.

"That couple looks cute." I said.

"I agree." I was surprised at his input but I did not say anything.

"Are your parents home?"

"No."

"Riley is alone?"

"She went out to meet a friend of hers named Carl."

"Just a friend?"

"Of course."

"She lied to you."

"Just shut up, she wasn't, she had no reason to. At least she has one friend, she refuses to find friends at school. She pushes all the ninth graders away. Carl is the only person she seems to have let it."

"She probably likes this Carl, well from where I'm standing."

"Whatever."

"So, I've been doing a lot of thinking lately." He started after our food was placed on the table.

"Uh-huh." Was he about to ask me out? Because he looked nervous as hell.

"You know how you said I should pick a girl from all those girls I sleep with and just try this relationship thing?"

"Yea?" I don't know why something told me that he was about to say he wanted to date me, even though I knew that I was not one of his girls. My eyes sparkled in excitement as I waited in anticipation.