Chapter 29

The following day during lunch, Henry and Kylie became serious on asking me why I was always down. I contemplated telling them the truth. I looked between them in doubt.

"Elle, what's going on?" Kylie asked.

"Uh... I think my parents are splitting up." I said, tears already pricking my eyelids. I hated the thought.

"It was just a dream Elle, they are not." Henry said as he put his hand over mine. I swear I felt my pulse quickening at his touch. Well, that was weird.

"No Henry, you don't understand." I paused and took a deep breath before telling them everything.

"The day I came to your house and slept over? Yea I had heard my parents arguing and I heard mom saying that dad cheated and well, my dad blamed my mom for his cheating, I can't believe him. Also, I think my dad beat up my mom because I saw..." my lip started to quiver as I pictured my dad beating my mom. My breath got shaky and I felt my chest tighten. Henry started caressing the back of my hand with his fingers and I felt my breath go back to normal, my cheeks kind of flushed and well, I was able to speak again. What the flying fish was going on with me?

"I found her with a blue eye the next day. I never asked about it but what if he did? I'd lose all respect I have for my dad guys."

"Oh my gosh, I am so sorry Elle, I really am. Why did you bottle all that in?" Kylie asked.

"Well, you had your Tim issues to deal with and it was Henry's birthday. I did not want to burden you guys."

"You can never burden us, we are your friends and this is what we are here for. The fact that we have troubles of our own, doesn't make yours unimportant. Don't ever do that to yourself okay?" Kylie said. Henry was quiet, still caressing on my hand to comfort me. I nodded at what Kylie said and wiped the tear that just rashly escaped my eye.

"So... how are you feeling?" Henry asked. He was a guy, I'm sure he did not know what to say at that point.

I took a deep breath then said, "like trash. But I will be okay I guess. I hope it's not as huge as I think it is. My dad hasn't come home since that day and my mom hasn't said a word about it."

"I'm so sorry. I really feel like you should talk to her though, maybe you will get the answers to your questions." Kylie reassured me and I gave her a tight-lipped smile, also trying to convince myself that all will be alright soon.

The rest of that day was a blur. I could not get my parents out of my mind and it was hard to focus in class. I tried to but it was not working out at all. I figured that I would go through the topic that they were doing once my heart was at ease. I could not let my grades slip because of that.

Kylie and Henry took me out for ice cream before Kylie dropped me off at home. It was distracting and I liked that. I loved my friends a lot. I wondered what I would do without them.

As I left Kylie's car, she said, "talk to your mom Elle. I love you, stay strong girl."

"I love you too Kylie and thanks for the ice cream."

"Anytime girl."

Like usual, nobody was home so I spent the afternoon napping.

...

As mom was making supper in the kitchen later that day, I was sitting in the living room watching The Vampire Diaries. Dad had not come home since the day that I slept over at Henry's and I was wondering if they were splitting up like in the dream that I had. I could not believe that dad did not love my mom anymore, it's still a lot to take in. My parents were always good together.