Chapter 4

I got home and my mother stood up quickly like she had been expecting me. She put her hands on her waist with sass like she was waiting for an explanation.

"Hey mom." I smiled awkwardly, waiting for her to tell me what I did that pissed her off.

"Elena Navia Monroe, why the heck is the kitchen so messy?" She raised her voice at me.

Why would she call me with my middle name, she knew I was not really a fan of that name anymore. Only Henry could call me that.

For a person that just had a really awesome day, I did not expect it to end like that- with my mother shouting at me.

"Oh, Uh...I baked the Petersons pumpkin pie to welcome them to the neighborhood. I totally forgot to clean."

"A chef never leaves a mess behind."

"Exactly, I am not a chef mom."

Mom had always wanted me to take after her, be a chef someday and I was not really interested in following her footsteps.

"And from what I am seeing you'll never be one."

"Yes mom, I don't want to be one. You are the chef here." I said.

"Yes and I did not leave any mess."

"I'm the mess you left behind and you know what they say, a mess makes more mess." That sentence made a lot more sense in my head.

"Who says that? Nobody says that." She challenged.

"How would you know?"

She threw a dish cloth at me and told me to clean the kitchen and also mop the floor. Really mom? Nice way to end my Friday.

I cleaned the kitchen like she asked. Then I made my way upstairs and sprawled on my bed. I took out my phone and found three missed calls from Kylie. How did I not hear it ring?

I immediately dialed  her number and she picked up on the fourth ring.

"Where the hell were you?" She loudly said through the speaker.

"Hi best friend. I am very good, how about you?"

"Ugh! Shut up. There's a party at Emma's in two hours. Get ready, I'll come pick you up."

"I can't go."

"Why not?"

"My mother scolded me for leaving the kitchen messy, she probably won't let me go to a party."

"Didn't you get home before she got there?"

"No."

"Why?"

"I don't know, I still cannot come."

"Then sneak out."

"No Kylie, I am not in the mood for a party anyway."

"Suit yourself. I bet Mr Cute guy will be there, then I can get his number." She joked.

I heaved and rolled my eyes.

"Okay Kylie."

She then groaned then hung up the phone, then I threw mine besides me and buried my face into my large red pillow.

____________________________________________

I was awaken by a knock on my aluminium window. I thought it was a dream until I noticed that the knock wasn't going away.

I groaned out of bed and opened the window for the person to go through.

"What do you want Kylie?"

"You can't leave me to go that party alone. Get dressed, we are going."