Chapter 51

As I uncovered my eyes from underneath the covers, I heard the gentle tapping of raindrops against the bedroom window. I got up and rubbed my knuckles against my eyes. So much for coming to a beach house. Why did it have to rain?

We arrived here yesterday in the evening and since I was tired, I went straight to bed. Henry, Kylie, Riley, Carl and I came yesterday. The rest of the people we invited would be coming later today.

The beach house had five bedrooms, for some reason. It had two floors and the top floor had a large living area that gave a beautiful sea view. If it wasn't for the rain today, I'd see the blueness of the sea and the blue sky and the birds chirping around freely and enjoying their little bird lives. The rain meant that we had to stay indoors for the day.

I'd come here a lot with Kylie's family. The front deck was where I would relax, read a book and if the parents were not there, sip wine whilst I was marveling at the ocean and the coast.

I went downstairs and made myself a cup of hot chocolate with whipped cream. I had a party to prepare for. I brought all the decorations with me yesterday, I would hang everything up when Kylie left to fetch the gang at the garage nearby. I already told Spencer to stall her. I mean, she knew there was going to be a party but she would not expect us to yell 'surprise' when she walked in right?

...

Kylie walked in and we yelled 'surprise', but I stopped in my tracks when I saw the person behind her. I should have known she would invite Owen Kreifle.

"Oh my goodness, Elle, it's beautiful. You really outdid yourself with the decor."

"I'm glad you like it, and I'm also glad to see that you invited Owen without telling me, again." I said sarcastically.

"I know right. I wanted to surprise you."

"Thanks, what a great surprise. I'm so glad to see you Owen." I lied.

I thought I went there to blow off some steam you know, to relax but with Owen there, how was one supposed to do that? I was expected to act like I liked the guy.

Ugh! Kylie could be so forward.

Everybody came in and I gave each one of them a hug, including Owen.

"Hey Heather, love the dress." I complimented and she thanked me for it. I was just wearing jeans and a hoodie, the usual. It was a new hoodie though, Henry got it for me for my birthday back in April. It's a pink oversized hoodie written 'forever' on it.  I hadn't worn it until today.

They all went upstairs to leave their belongings there. I baked the pumpkin pie and the cake, there were snacks bought by Riley. We all sat in the living area that was upstairs.

"Where should I put the gift?" Heather asked me.

"The room next to the one you're sleeping in. She mustn't know otherwise she'll peep." I whispered back to her.

"Cool."

Everybody did their introductions to Carl. He was a quiet boy and it really bothered me. Henry tried to talk to him but he either gave short answers or nodded. Henry ended up giving up on trying to make him feel welcome. The only time I saw him smile was when he was with Riley in their room. He actually let out a laugh.

"Welcome to the eighteens club my love." I said to her as I pop opened the champagne. Everybody cheered on. Kylie looked really happy.

"Do we get to open gifts?" Kylie asked.

"No girl, a few..." the door bell rang and Kylie rushed down to open. She came back up with an Indian girl and some huge dark-haired boy next to her.

"Hi guys, this is Nancy. She helped me with my tire earlier when I went to pick up these people. I invited her to come."