Chapter 20

My parents arrived on Sunday evening, I was at Kylie's house when they got home. Kylie then dropped me off at my house a little while later.

As soon as I got into the house, my mother yelled my name. With that tone, I knew that I was in deep trouble. I wondered what I did. With great apprehension taking over my body, I walked into the kitchen, where my mom was. I looked at her face then I saw her looking on the counter. I followed her eyes and saw a bottle of Skyy Vodka on the counter. Oh shoot! It was the bottle that I woke up holding on Saturday.

"Hi mommy." I said in a shaky voice.

"Don't 'hi mommy' me, what is this?"

"What is what?"

"Are you kidding me Elena, you were drinking?"

"W...where did you find that?"

"In your room."

"What were you doing in my room mom?"

"You live under my roof so I can go into any room that I want." She yelled.

"That's my room, you have to at least respect my privacy. I'm eighteen mom, I'm not a baby anymore." I yelled back.

"If you want your privacy, you can get your own place but as long as you live under my roof, I call the shots. And you haven't answered my question, were you drinking?"

"Of course not mom. I can't believe you are always assuming the worst of me."

"So why was this bottle in your room?"

"Uh... the bottle. I, I just..yea, I got it off the streets because I wanted to prove to Henry that it has below thirty percent of alcohol in it."

"How would you know?"

"I don't, I got it wrong. We just made a bet on it and I owe him money. I would never drink mom, in fact, I despise alcohol." I was that good at lying and my mom was so naïve that she believed me. I was turning eighteen soon, I was practically an adult.

"I hope you are telling me the truth Elena."

"I am mom, you can call Henry and ask him if you want." Why the heck did I say that? I think it was the confidence I had when I said those words that convinced my mom that I was telling the truth.

"How is aunt Candace?" I chose to change the subject.

"Go and throw this thing far away from my yard okay. I don't ever want to see any bottle in my house, ever. Are we clear Elena?"

"Yes mom." I took the bottle and went to throw it in some nearby bush.

On my way back, I met up with Henry who had a bottle of water in his hand.

"How are you?"

"Dude, I almost got busted." I told him.

"With what?"

"My mom found the bottle of vodka in my room. I forgot it in there, I just never thought that she would look through my room. What the heck was she even looking for?"

"Damn! How did you get out of it?"

"I lied." I told Henry the lie that I told my mother and he burst into laughter.

"Oh my word! She actually believed that?"

"Of course, I was very convincing sir."

"Wow! I have to give it to you, at least you can do something that is not so innocent."

"Shut up Peterson. I drank alcohol, what the heck are you talking about? Just because I haven't included myself in some sexual activities does not mean I am totally innocent."

"Not just some, you don't include yourself in any sexual activity. Even your best friend does, wow."

"It's not funny, you can stop laughing now." It's like I made it worse when I said that.

"But I am proud of you for that. I am proud of you for not giving into peer pressure and doing things because everybody does it, that takes a lot of courage and I love that. Stick to that."

"Are you being sarcastic?" I squinted my eyes in doubt.

"No, no I am not. I am dead serious right now, you are a role model to kids being bullied because of such things. I like that."

"Aw! Thanks."

"In fact, wait for marriage." He was back to his jokes. I snatched his water and poured him with it. His blonde hair stuck to his forehead and the water dripped on his t-shirt.

He chased me, I outran him until I could not breathe anymore. I stopped and panted, trying to catch my breath. He tried to go on my back, in a way that I would carry him in a piggy back ride.

"Are you insane, you are going to break my bones."

"You're weak."

"No, you're just strong and have all those muscles."

"What's the difference between what I said and what you said."

"Go home Peterson, we have school tomorrow."

"Let me walk you home Navia." He walked with me until I got to my house. Before he left, I have him a hug and got inside.

Because I had left my homework for last minute, I decided to do it. I fell asleep right after doing it.