Chapter 14

Kylie and I decided to skip school to go shopping, it was Friday after all. Her father gave her loads of money for us to go on a shopping spree. Yes, my mother thought that I was at school but hers? They were okay with her skipping school to nurse her heartbreak. Kylie did not need school anyway, her parents' wealth could last her for a lifetime, and if they passed on, she could easily inherit it. She was lucky wasn't she.

I took an Uber to her house that morning and Mrs Cargo opened the glass door.

"Hello Mrs Cargo." I greeted.

"Hey Elle, how are you my dear?"

"I'm good thanks and yourself?"

"I'm a little worried about Kylie. Thanks for being there for her as a friend, she is really lucky to have you in her life." She said and I smiled.

"I'm just being a good friend Mrs Cargo and I know that Kylie would do the same for me if I went through the same sh... thing." I stopped myself from cussing, apparently I cussed a lot and sometimes I did not have a filter. I was glad that Mrs Cargo let it slide. She was drinking coffee and she offered some to me but I turned it down and took the orange juice instead.

And because that was like my second home, I made my way upstairs without having to ask Mrs Cargo for her permission. I got into Kylie's room and she was in her bath robe, sprawled on her bed, her face buried in her favorite Winnie The Pooh Pillow.

"No! No! I am not letting that happen." I said when I got in.

I went through her closet to pick something for her to wear.

"What's the point Elle? I have hundreds of clothes, designer bags and shoes, why did I think getting more will make me forget about Tim? I'm not going."

Wait. Was I hearing correctly or did I really need to clean my ears. Was Kylie saying shopping is useless? Did she just say she had enough clothes, bags and shoes? My Kylie just said that? Not in a million years would I have thought that Kylie would say that and I was not about to let it happen. Tim was so paying for doing that to my friend.

I showed her a pink dress and she raised her head from the pillow, her eyes were puffy and her face looked pale, mind you Kylie was normally tanned. Her eyes were bloodshot red and she had heavy eye bags hanging from her eyes. Her bed was filled with all kinds of junk food- so much for watching her weight and staying healthy. Looking at her at that moment felt like absolute torture and I could not bare to stare any longer.

"You have to stop acting like the world is ending."

"I'm not. I'm acting like it has ended because it has." She plopped on her pillow and watched the ceiling.

"No it has not. Don't give your heartbreak so much power over you."

"I am not, it took it on its own."

"Kylie get out of that bed right this instance and put on that dress. We are going shopping and later on to a spa. You cannot let your heartbreak consume you so much, you are even eating junk and turning down the thing you love most- shopping. Is Tim really worth all of that?"

"No, no he is not." She stood up and fixed herself up.

For a second there, I thought I would fail. I was glad that I did not. She had her own bathroom so she quickly went in and washed her face. When she was done, she put on some make up, making sure to hide the eye bags, she stretched and darkened her eyelashes with a mascara then got dressed in the dress that I picked out for her. She looked magnificent.

She grabbed her purse that had her dad's black card and we left her house to go to the mall.

We went from shop to shop, picking out what we liked and bought it without hesitation. We bought stuff that we did not need and I think during it all, I saw Kylie's lips stretch into an actual smile and my heart leaped. That was her happy place- the mall.

We decided to go to the rollerblading rink and rollerblade for an hour before going to buy tacos and ribs- the ribs were for me of course. We also went to buy ice creams and waffles. We did not go to the spa like we had planned.

A few hours later, we went back to her house with our hands occupied by a lot of shopping bags. We sure bought a lot of clothes, Kylie even got two new Louis Vuitton bags, she wanted to buy one for me but I turned it down. I was definitely not a bag-girl.

I went home a few hours later and got into my room. I called Henry to ask him if we had any homework and he sent it to me. I decided to sit on my desk and do it so that I get in less trouble tomorrow. Especially with Mr Tanicho.

A while later, my phone rang and 'Mother 2 ' flashed across the screen. That was Kylie's mother. I wondered what she wanted.

I picked it up and she told me to rush over to her house. I did not hesitate because I knew that there was something wrong with Kylie. I slipped into my converses and took money and called an Uber. I know I said Kylie moved in a few houses from mine so it was a shocker that I used an Uber, they had moved to a new house that I could not walk to. I grew impatient as I waited for the Uber but it finally came.

I got off at the Cargos' and rushed inside, the door was not locked. I got in and Mrs Cargo told me that Kylie was in her bedroom. I went there and when I got there, she had a bottle of Tequila in her hand and she was gulping it down using the bottle. I opened slowly and got in.

"Kylie."

"Heeeey you." She was so drunk, I almost did not recognize her. Again, her eyes were red but half closed. She could not even sit up straight, her body seemed wobbly.

"Give me that bottle." I demanded.

"Who... are you? My father?" She said and laughed out loud. She tried to stand up but almost stumbled, when she saw that she was able to balance herself with her right foot, she said, "ahh. Good girl." My eyelids pricked with tears. I did not know how to help her.

"Kylie stop."

"Should we go to a party? It's a Friday after all and I'm going to have all the booze in the world."

"No, you have had enough alcohol." I tried to snatch the bottle of tequila from her but she hardened her grip. The bottle was half empty, I could not believe that she consumed so much alcohol. Her mother came in and she had tears all over her face. I gave her an apologetic look.

I sat down on Kylie's bed and told her to sit next to me. Thank goodness she did not argue with me on that. I told her mother that I had it and she left the room.

"What's up Kylie?"

"I'm fine don't you see? I am totally fine." She prolonged the word 'fine' and her head fell on my shoulder, that was actually painful, as if she threw it there.

"Kylie."

"It's that dick face Tim. He played with my emotions. I didn't mean shit to him, what we had did not mean shit to him... it was all a fucking game to him. I can't believe he did that to me."

"But drinking alcohol won't make it any better." She started crying and that's when I snatched the bottle from her and put it aside, I guess she did not have the energy to fight for it because she did not even move after that. I told her to go to bed and that I would see her tomorrow. As soon as she fell asleep, I left her house and went home.

I could not stop thinking about her.

"How's Kylie?" My mom asked.

"Miserable." I honestly answered.

"I'm sure she'll get over it, especially because you're such a good friend."

"Thanks mom." I said and she left.

I fell asleep while thinking about Kylie and ways to make her feel better, and since shopping did not work, nothing was coming to mind.