33-[She] Found Out From A Friend Of A Friend

**Reneé POV**

"Sounds like you girls had a fun night" my dad says as we walk into the kitchen the next morning.

"What do you mean?" I ask, confused about what he's talking about.

"Did you forget we share a wall, Nae?"

I look over at Clarie, who's sitting at the kitchen table. Her face is beat red and I think she might be even more embarrassed than I am, if that's even possible.

"You could hear us?" I ask him, completely mortified.

"Almost every word. Do us a favor, can you guys just sleep in the basement tonight?"

"Ew dad, that is so fucking gross" I say, trying to stop myself from laughing. I know I wasn't quiet last night but I didn't think I was that loud. 

"Imagine how your mom and I felt last night, little girl"

I look over at Claire again, she has her head in her hands. I put my hand over my mouth, trying not to giggle when she finally looks up at me.

**Claire POV**

Oh my god, this is actually my worst nightmare. Can I just disappear? 

"What's on your guys agenda for the day?" he asks, changing the subject abruptly.

"Not a whole lot, really. I was gonna take Claire downtown and show her around a little bit, maybe go to the lake or something?"

"Wow, exciting" her dad says, using the same sarcastic tone Reneé uses so often. They are so alike, it's almost comical. 

"Oh shut up, we'll have fun" Reneé defends. She's right, we have fun anywhere we go. Whether it's a big city or a small town like this, we always make the best of it.

"I'm gonna go upstairs and take a shower. Do you wanna come with me or stay down here?" she asks, putting me on the spot. Her dad glances up from his phone and we make eye contact, fuck.

"I'll stay down here" I smile at her. She gives me a subtly shocked look.

"Okay, I'll be fast" she says, walking over and kissing the top of my head "love you"

"Love you too" I mumble.

"We'll try not to talk too much shit" her dad calls out as she walks out of the room.

"Whatever" she yells from the top of the stairs. We laugh and sit in silence for a moment before finally, he starts up a conversation.

"So, Claire. How is everything?" I hate vague questions like that.

"Things are good!" I tell him, probably a bit too enthusiastically.

"How are you guys liking New Jersey? You've been there for what, a month?"

"Yeah, it's nice. Much quieter than LA, that's for sure. I grew up in Indiana so it reminds me a little more of home, just a few less cornfields" I explain, he chuckles at me.

"Indiana, huh? How'd you end up in LA then?" he continues, these are much better questions.

"I went to the University of Indiana for commercial architecture. After I graduated, I applied for a job in LA kind of as a joke, thinking I wouldn't get it. And then I did, and I was gone within a few weeks"

"That is awesome, good for you. God, I'm sure your parents miss you though. I'll never forget the day we moved Reneé into her apartment in New York, her mom and I were a mess that-"

"Good morning!" her mom interrupts, walking into the kitchen from the garage.

"Good morning" I say quietly.