Her truth

Chapter 22

"What you did today was not done Chaitra"  I said as soon as we entered our room

"What did I do wrong? How could you even support your sister in this and not me? She shouted.

She removed her shirt and turned back.

I could see all her scars. They left dark marks on her back. But was I disgusted? Not even close to it. I will embrace every scar of hers, every wound of hers but it will take time. Once I find the culprit, I will confess everything to her.

"These are because of your lovely sister," she said with disgust in her voice.

"I hope your sister dies and gets the most horrible death" Chaitra yelled in anger.

"Chaitra" I shouted in anger.

How could she wish for her death? All my life I tried to keep my sister alive and she wants her dead?

She put on her shirt back and turned towards me.

"You don't believe me, do you? Why are you trusting her so blindly? She herself said she wrote the letter" she said.

"Because she is my sister and I trust her. She can never hurt anyone intentionally" I said.

"So is Srishti but why is it always Samaira"

I think it's time to tell her the truth. She is my wife, she deserves to know my past.

I started narrating my childhood to her.

~flashback~

When I was five and Srishti was a just born baby, my father lost everything. We had no money, no food and no house to live in.

My father decided to leave India and go abroad to continue his illegal work but my uncle came and offered to take us under his shelter.

My parents without a second thought abandoned me and Srishti, who was not even a month old.

My grandparents were against my uncle taking us in because my father cheated and took his share of the inheritance a few years back. But my uncle ignored their protests.

My uncle had a daughter and she was Samaira. Samaira was light in his life. She was the last memory of his wife he had.

My uncle and grandparents weren't well off. They had enough money to feed themselves. But now he had two more stomachs to fill and there were huge medical expenses for Srishti. We needed extra money for her vaccines and her expensive baby formula because my sister had no mother to breastfeed her.

He started working harder than before. He slept on an empty stomach many nights so that we could have our stomachs full.

He never differentiated between Samaira and Srishti. He took care of Srishti better than my parents ever could and ever have.