𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲-𝐟𝐢𝐯𝐞

Sunghoon

Sunghoon

Sunghoon sat at his gate in the airport, waiting for boarding to start. Usually, he was excited when he traveled, eager to explore new places and immerse himself in different cultures. However, this time was different. Instead of excitement, he felt an overwhelming sadness. Instead of anticipation, there was only a gnawing nervousness.

His duffel bag sat heavily at his feet, but the weight on his chest was even heavier. Unable to shake off the melancholy, Sunghoon picked up his bag and left the gate, heading outside to hail a taxi.

The drive was quiet, the only sounds the hum of the engine and the soft rustle of the city waking up. Sunghoon found himself lost in thought, the events of the past few days playing on a loop in his mind. The taxi eventually pulled up in front of his childhood home, a place he hadn't visited in years.

With a deep breath, Sunghoon unlocked the door using the key he had never been able to part with. Stepping inside, he was greeted by the sight of familiar, yet dusty, surroundings. Childhood pictures of him lined the walls, and the table he used to eat at stood in the same spot, now covered with a thin layer of dust. The sofa he used to sit on looked as inviting as ever, and his old bedroom door stood ajar, as if welcoming him back.

Standing in the middle of the living room, a memory came rushing back to him, vivid and poignant.

It was the night of Sunghoon's flight to Chicago. He was packing some last-minute things when he saw his father sitting quietly, looking at a picture of Sunghoon's late mother. She had passed away when Sunghoon was young, and his father's eyes were filled with a sorrow that never quite faded.

"Dad?" Sunghoon called softly, pulling his father from his reverie.

His father looked up, blinking away the tears. "We should get going," Sunghoon said gently.

Nodding slowly, his father picked up an envelope from the table and handed it to Sunghoon. "Here, take this."

Sunghoon opened the envelope and saw it was filled with money. "Dad, you've already given me enough. You should keep this."

"Don't argue with me," his father shushed him, pressing the envelope into his hand. "Keep it safe."

Sunghoon slipped the envelope into his bag, not wanting to disobey. There was a moment of silence as his father gathered his belongings. He was coming to the airport to see Sunghoon off.

"Are you crying?" Sunghoon asked softly, noticing his father's red-rimmed eyes.

His father chuckled, trying to lighten the mood. "I'm finally getting rid of you," he joked.

Sunghoon chuckled back, but his heart felt heavy. "I'll miss you, Dad."

His father's smile faded into a sad expression. "The house will feel empty without you," he admitted. Then, shaking his head, he added, "Anyway, we have to go."