Chapter 49. Trailing

Mom's condition had worsened. She was coughing so violently that I feared her having tuberculosis. When I returned home yesterday, I thought she was going to interrogate me, but she didn't say anything.

Infact, when I mentioned about Mahreen's invitation, Mom gave me permission in one go. I was surprised and even felt like going as Mahreen looked very hurt after my refusal yesterday, but when Mom's fever increased after she dropped off Srishti at her school, I thought it better to cancel my plan.

I knew Mahreen would understand after I told her about my mother's condition. Therefore, after waking up late in the morning, I carried on with my daily routine and did household chores and let Mom rest.

To both mine and my sister's surprise, Mom herself kept telling me to go to Mahreen's event as she had requested so politely and had even helped me before. I was confused because I thought Mom was very annoyed by me attending parties, but now she was herself forcing me to go.

Even when I kept telling her that I was going to stay at home to look after her and Dhara Di, she kept repeating the same thing like a parrot. In the end, my sister also got convinced when Mom said that I could easily attend the event as she would be resting in the afternoon as it is and won't need my attention.

After listening to both women telling me to just leave and not worry about them, I confirmed with them one last time and checked the time. The inauguration was going to start within an hour, and I was running late.

Mom told me to just wear the new t-shirt and the recently washed jeans as I didn't need to dress up much for such afternoon events. I followed her advice, and Dhara Di reminded me to buy a bouquet on my way.

I left for the event myself, but it felt like I was forced out of my house. Mom even locked the door behind me. She kept telling me to remember how Mahreen had helped me and how I should not decline her invitation, or my impression would turn bad.

My mother's attitude seemed very odd. I kept thinking about it even when I bought a bouquet and entered my train. I reached Kurla and decided to not trouble Hriaan. I was already late, so I was sure he or his driver would have already left. I looked around for the rickshaw stand and started walking towards it, but a loud honk scared the shit out of me.

I looked back and recognised Hriaan's sports car. He motioned for me to hurry up. I entered his car, and he put my bouquet on the back seat. He gave me a once-over, and I knew what he was thinking.

"I was running late, so this the best I could come up with," I explained before he could judge my attire. "Sorry for making you wait."

"I didn't even say anything," he argued. "Let's go. Mahreen wouldn't have let me in without you anyways."

I smiled sheepishly. Hriaan shook his head as he complained about how Mahreen was totally obsessed with me. When we reached the venue, Hriaan gave me my bouquet and went to park his car. I slowly observed my surroundings.

The flower decorations were really cute, giving a feeling of a fairyland. A lot of guests had already arrived and were roaming around.

The bakery was in the shape of a cottage with a lot of lawn space around it. A huge standee with the bakery's name and inaugration details was placed near the front gates, and I wanted to take a selfie but couldn't because of my sister's phone.

 A huge standee with the bakery's name and inaugration details was placed near the front gates, and I wanted to take a selfie but couldn't because of my sister's phone