Act 10-Part 5

***

***

The whole team were on the platform, Aaliyah looked around smiling when Bruce spoke. "Did we get them all?" he asked.

"You're telling me this shit actually worked?" Rhodey asked.

That's when Aaliyah's eye landed on Clint, he was holding the Soul Stone and then noticed the empty spot beside him and so did everyone else as Clint fell to his knees in silence.

"Clint, where's Nat?" Bruce asked.

The silence from Clint tells them all they need to know. The mission was completed but at a dire cost. Sadness overtakes everyone. Bruce falls to his knees and pounds the floor in grief at the loss of a friend.

The team were sitting outside mourning their fallen teammate and friend, Clint was staring blankly into the space in front of him, while Aaliyah carefully approached her friend.

"Nothing, I can say will make this better, but I'm so, so sorry."

"I know, but I uh, if we do this I have to explain to three kids, a ten year old, Hayley-Rose, a six year old, Ivan and three year old, Katerina-Alexandra why their mother's dead." said Clint, his voice broke as he played with the arrow necklace that Natasha had given to Bruce, one of her closest friends for safe keeping as a just in case.

"We were her family, you know, as well as the one she had." said Tony.

"What?" Thor asked, confused.

"I'm just saying that-"

"Yeah, you're acting like she's dead. Why are we acting like she's dead? We have the stones, right? As long as we have the stones, Cap, we can bring her back, isn't that right? So stop this shit. We're the Avengers, get it together."

"We can't get her back." Clint spoke.

"Wha-What?"

"It can't be undone. It can't."

"I'm sorry. No offence, but you're a very earthly being. Okay? We're talking about space magic. And "can't" seems very definitive don't you think?"

"Yeah, look, I know that I'm way outside my paygrade here. But she still isn't here, is she?"

"No, that's my point-"

"It can't– be undone. Or that's at least what the red floating guy had to say," Clint said calmly before shouting suddenly. "Maybe you wanna go talk to him, okay? GO GRAB YOUR HAMMER, AND YOU GO FLY AND TALK TO HIM! SHE'S NOT YOUR WIFE IS SHE? YOU DIDN'T LOSE YOUR WIFE! YOU DON'T HAVE TO EXPLAIN TO THREE KIDS WHY THEIR MOTHER ISN'T EVER COMING HOME!"

But Clint's anger is quickly replaced by grief. "It was supposed to be me."

"Don't say that Clint, please don't ever say that. You know Natasha wouldn't want that." said Aaliyah, almost begging her friend to stop saying those things.