Chapter 4

Chapter 4

***

Wednesday Morning

Since their encounter in her room over twenty-four hours ago, Val hadn't spoken to Joe. She had come too close to giving in to his pleas and soft touch, convincing her to do everything she could to avoid him at last night's SmackDown taping. She'd even gone so far as to ask for time off until the "Money in the Bank" pay-per-view on Sunday. As she packed her suitcase, she prayed that she could slip away from the hotel without him seeing her. He'd left her a couple of voicemails, which she'd decided not to listen to. She just couldn't bear to hear the voice of the man that was slowly beginning to take control over her heart and mind-the same man who also just happened to be married.

Just as she zipped her suitcase and prepared to leave for the drive back home to Little Rock, Arkansas, a knock sounded on her hotel room's door.

"Please don't be him," Val said to herself.

She cautiously opened the door, relieved to find Colby on the other side. Last night, after SmackDown, the two had decided to make the six hour drive to Little Rock together, where Colby would then catch the flight to his hometown of Davenport, Iowa.

"Hey, are you about ready?" he asked, stepping into the room.

"Yeah, we can go ahead and leave."

"Well, I was kinda hoping that we could get some breakfast first."

"Can we just get something on the road?" Val asked with pleading eyes. "I'm really anxious to get home." And away from Joe.

"I guess so. Let's say 'bye' to the guys, and we can go," he said, reaching for her suitcase.

Val stopped Colby, drawing a questioning stare from him.

"Um, why don't you go, and I'll put my things in the car."

He creased his brow in confusion, then to confirm, asked "are you sure?"

"Yeah, I'm sure."

"Alright," he replied with a shrug of his shoulders.

He handed the keys to his rental over to her and advised that he'd soon join her. Relief overcame her when she made it out to the parking lot without Joe seeing her. However, that relief was cut short when she spotted Colby fast approaching the vehicle with his luggage-and Joe.

Shit!

Val stood frozen as Joe stared her down with narrowed eyes for several intense seconds, before finally initiating a nearly whispered conversation to keep Colby from hearing them.

"Heading out, I see."

"Um, yeah. I'm going home for a few days," Val replied.

"See you at the house show?" Joe asked while Colby busied himself with loading his luggage into the trunk.

"Actually, I won't be back until MITB. Ray's working the house shows for me."

"And when were you gonna tell me?"

"Joe, I-"

Colby slammed the trunk down, interrupting her explanation.

"You ready?" he asked over the roof of the car.

"Yeah, see ya Joe," she said, seating herself in the passenger seat.

"Yeah, see ya," he repeated, closing her door, but not before giving her one last scolding glare. "You guys drive safe."

"Always, bro."

Before they could even make it off of the parking lot, Val received a text message from Joe.