Chapter 46

Chapter 46

***

"Damn, it's good to see you, Doll," Joe said, wrapping Val in a tight hug and kissing her ear. "I missed you so much, baby. You just don't know how much I missed you."

"I kinda got an idea," Val teased. "Did I surprise you?"

"Hell yes," he exclaimed, taking her carry-on bag and slinging it over his shoulder. "I wasn't expecting you for a couple more days."

"Well, Joey was gracious enough to let me off early. So, here I am."

"I'm glad you're here."

The couple walked to the luggage carousel, where Joe gathered the rest of her bags.

"Is that all?" he asked.

"Yeah, that's it."

Once they left the airport, Joe and Val began to discuss the plans for their upcoming couple's party and wedding.

"So, did Lila get everything finished up?" Val asked.

"Of course, she did. She's been amazing."

"Great! I can't believe I'm about to say this, but I don't wanna kill you right now. Hiring a planner was the best idea ever."

"I'll admit it, Doll. I was a bit skeptical at first, but watching Lila, my mom, and Ms. Cherie work put that skepticism to rest real quick."

"Good, 'cause I don't wanna have to stress about anything. Over the next few days, I just wanna relax, get pampered, and get-"

"Sexed up?" Joe suggested, glancing at her and raising a hopeful brow.

Val gave his thigh a backhand slap.

"You're such a freak."

"Yep, and unfortunately for you, Mrs. Anoa'i, the freaks come out at night ... all night," he emphasized. "You're in for one helluva ride, girl."

"I don't doubt it. But," she started, grabbing his hand and sighing, "I gotta tell you something."

Joe glanced in her direction again and caught her gaze for just a moment before turning his attention back to the road.

"I don't know if I like the look on your face right now, babygirl. What's wrong?"

She sighed again, struggling to put her thoughts together. She'd been practicing how she'd bring up the subject when she got home, but now, none of those tactics seemed practical. Just tell him, Val.

"We're almost home. I don't want you driving when I tell you."

"What the hell, Val? Talk to me."

"Joe, please? Can we just wait ten more minutes, please?"

"Whatever," he dismissively said, shaking his head and rolling his eyes.

***

The remainder of the car ride ensued amidst an awkward silence. When Joe and Val finally arrived home, nearly twenty minutes later, Val quickly jumped out of the car, leaving Joe behind to bring her luggage inside. Cherie, Patricia, and JoJo all greeted her with hugs. Once the common pleasantries had been exchanged and Joe had brought in her bags, he immediately pulled her to their bedroom and closed the door.

"I found your birth control, Val. Talk to me," he demanded without further delay.

"You what?" she asked, narrowing her eyes at him.

"I said I found your birth control, and if you're wondering, yes, I went in your vanity, and I'm sorry."

"I don't care about you going in there," she said, waving off his apology. "I wasn't trying to hide 'em. I just forgot they were in there."