Chapter 44

Well, we're getting closer to the end of this story! I hope you guys have enjoyed the ride. Most of you have suggested a sequel, so I think I'm gonna go ahead and go for it, but it will probably be after I finish "The Canary." BTW, if you haven't read that one check it out. Now, on to the story!

Chapter 44

***

Joe sat alone at home, surfing the internet for wedding coordinators. It was the one thing that Val had asked him to do, due to the constraints on her schedule at the moment. He happily accepted. It was the least he could do. He still couldn't believe that the woman he so relentlessly pursued over a year ago would be his wife in a matter of weeks. Every time he thought about it, he found himself grinning from ear-to-ear.

"This one looks promising," he said, clicking on the 4.8 star-rated coordinator Lila Jefferson.

After spending some time perusing the website, Joe texted the information to Val.

Great baby! I'll check it out as soon as I get a chance. ILY, she texted back.

ILY2 doll, he sent back.

On just his first day of suspension, he'd found a wedding coordinator and scheduled an appointment for a tuxedo fitting. He looked at Val's inspiration board once more before closing his laptop down and leaving home to meet Lina. Thankfully, she had agreed to let JoJo spend two weeks with him during his time off. He hadn't told her about his fast-approaching wedding and decided to do so when he arrived at their mutual meeting spot.

***

"You're doing what?" Lexy asked Val during their phone conversation.

"Joe and I are getting married next month."

"And how are you gonna plan a wedding that soon?"

"Well, Joe's already found a coordinator, and I pretty much picked everything out that I want. Joe's gonna pay for everything."

"Everything?" Lexy asked.

"Yeah. I mean, it was his idea."

"So, you're really doing it, hunh?"

"Yep, and to be honest, I'm actually glad to be getting it outta the way."

"Well, you let me know if I can help you in any kind of way," Lexy said over Leia's slowly winding up wail.

"Uh oh, Princess Leia sounds upset."

"It's feeding time," Lexy advised. "I'll talk to you later, sis."

The sisters said "goodbye" to each other and Val disconnected the call. Just as she was about to shower and get ready for lunch with Trinity and the twins, she got a call from Kelly, Joey's assistant, confirming her week off in July. She sent Joe a text and proceeded to ready herself for her day out.

***

Joe sat in the parking lot of Ariana's, the restaurant that he and Lina chose as their meeting spot. He impatiently tapped his fingers on the steering wheel as he waited for her. She was already ten minutes late and every second that passed was a second that he missed with JoJo. He breathed a loud sigh, glancing at his watch once more.

"Where the hell are you, Lina?" he asked, surveying the parking lot again.

Moments later, he spotted her red SUV pulling into the entrance of the restaurant.

"Finally," he said, getting out of his vehicle.

Lina's SUV had barely come to a good stop before JoJo jumped from the front seat and ran over to Joe. He lifted her in his arms and kissed her cheek, just as happy to see her.