Chapter 26

A/N This chapter contains a few flashbacks, so I've added a few headings to clear up any confusion. The present day is Friday, and the phone conversation between Val and Joe is a flashback from Wednesday night. Oh yeah, I know his sisters' names are different, but I wanted to make up my own names. Hope you enjoy!

Chapter 26

Friday Night-Patricia Anoa'i's house

The next two days were a blur for Joe. His short time off had flown by, and before he knew it, it was already Friday night. He was flanked by family and friends at his mother's home, grateful for the chance to spend time with them. However, after Wednesday night's conversation with Val, he was anxious to see her.

***

Wednesday Night

"Daddy, come on!" Joe heard his daughter yell from her bedroom.

"OK, Jellybean!" he yelled back. "Look, I'm gonna go do this movie thing with her, but when I call you back, I expect an answer. Got it?"

"Yeah, I got it," Val softly replied.

"I'll call you back later."

"Alright."

Just as Joe ended his call, Joelle bounced into the living room, wearing the pajamas he'd laid out for her.

"JoJo, what's wrong with what you're wearing?" he asked, standing when she started to pull on his hand to help him up from the sofa.

"They don't smell like you," she answered, leading him down the hall.

He let out a gentle laugh and replied, "they don't smell like me?"

Joelle shook her head in response. Once they were at his bedroom's door, she stood behind him and began to push him towards his closet.

"Alright, alright. I'm going little girl," he said, turning to look back at her. With a hand planted firmly on her hip, she wagged her tiny finger at him.

"Hurry mister," she ordered.

"Yes ma'am," he said, and then added, "you're so bossy."

Joelle playfully stuck her tongue out at Joe, and he did the same. The two shared a laugh before he found a T-shirt and threw it on top of her head.

"Daddy!" she exclaimed, pulling the t-shirt away from her face.

"I'm gonna get the movie ready. The pizza should be here soon. You get dressed, OK?"

"OK," she happily replied.

He kissed the top of her head and left the bedroom.

***

A little over an hour into the movie and two pizza slices later, Joelle had fallen asleep in her father's arms. As he looked down at her, Joe thought of all the ways he would try to protect her from men like him. He could admit that for much of his life, he'd been a heartbreaking playboy-even with Lina, until they were married. His history with women wasn't very good, and he was getting the feeling that Val was thinking the same thing.

He sighed and lifted Joelle in his arms, vowing to himself that he would be the man for Val that he would want his daughter to bring home for him to meet one day.

Joe laid Joelle in his bed and pulled the comforter over her small body. After saying a short prayer, he kissed her forehead and left the bedroom.

Once he had gotten comfortable in the living room, he turned the television off and called Val.

"Hey baby," she answered. "Your movie's finished?"

"No, but sleep just KO'd JoJo. Is this a good time?"