twenty-eight

It was a week later, and Ino had not said a word to anybody. Sai tried to talk to her but her eyes would meet his and instantly, Sai would walk away again. She couldn't do anything to defend Naruto either, as he was in the center of everything going on right now. More people started bullying him once Kakashi or Iruka weren't around him. They were sneaky, too, avoiding getting in trouble with Tsunade.

Most of that was thanks to Naruto, since he had been threatened not to tell on them otherwise more people would come.

Announcements over the school were made by Tsunade. Anybody caught bullying anyone was going to get expelled, no questions asked. But that wasn't enough to keep Sakura and Shikamaru's group from attacking him, both online and reality.

Sakura was sneaky. She walked around while her people troubled Naruto, as if she had nothing to do with it. And the fact that Shika's group was in on it, revealed that Shikamaru could be behind the online attacks. He was a genius behind computers, after all.

Sai had started to give up on her, and Sasuke had heard as well. He had walked in after school one day, and yelled at her, asking why she wasn't defending Naruto like she had promised him. She would've told him then and there, had it not been for the person passing by the empty classroom, standing there, spying on her.

Now she too, like Naruto, walked around alone, except Naruto still had Sai, and Sasuke.

"Say a word to any of them, and I'll make sure myself to hurt them twice as much as what Sakura and Temari could do." Kankuro had said back at the alley.

"Why are you doing this?" Ino cried, trying desperately to get Kankuro's grip off her wrists.

"I did tell you I hold grudges. Leaving me for that stupid kid?" Kankuro scoffed, tightening his grip. "That's gotta be the stupidest thing you could do."

Ino really wanted to tell them what Kankuro told her, but she couldn't. She couldn't risk having Naruto and the others get hurt because of her, she had found new friends in them, real friends, and she wasn't going to make them suffer.

-----

"How is it? Are you any close yet?" Iruka asked Sai as the kid walked in through Naruto's door. He had been hanging out with Naruto recently, due tot he attacks getting stronger.

"I think I'm onto something." Sai answered, throwing his book bag on the couch, "How's Naruto? Is he sick? He wasn't at school today."

Iruka's welcoming smile suddenly fell, "About that," he started, lowering his voice. "He doesn't want to come out of his room."

Sai stood still for a moment, then resumed digging his laptop out from under Naruto's sofa, where he had hidden it since he was hear almost every day now.