4.0

Emily walked into Calum's house hearing him playing his bass from downstairs she looked up the stairs before kicking off her shoes. She walked up the stairs carefully as she carried two cups of Starbucks with her.
She pushed open Calum's door with her foot making Calum look up from his notebook, which Emily was never aloud to look at because 'my songs are private'.
"Hey" Calum smiled as Emily walked over to him.
"Hey" Emily replied handing him his coffee.
"Thanks" he said as he took it off her.
"What you doing?" Emily asked sitting on the bed.
"Nothing" Calum says smiling at her cheekily making her roll her eyes at him.
"Weren't you the one who said the you shouldn't have secretes in relationships?" Emily asked as she sat back against the head board.
"You know it's song writing so it isn't technically a secrete"
"Can you teach me bass?" Emily asked looking over at him.
"Why do you wanna learn bass?" Calum questioned turning to face her.
"Why not?" Emily questioned. Calum picked up his bass and motioned for her to move to the centre of the bed.
"Okay so" Calum started handing her his bass "you urm"
"Calum do you know what you're doing?" Emily teased as Calum starred at the bass in confusion.
"Shut up" Calum hissed "put your finger on that string" Calum said gently moving her index finger to a string. "Now this on one there" he instructed "okay now strum"
Emily strummed down on the four strings and it made a weird sound , that wasn't a cord.
"Why do I get the feeling that sounded awful?" Emily whispered making Calum chuckle a little.
"Because it was"
"Oh shut up" Emily said rolling her eyes at him.
"Okay try putting your finger on the top string about there" Calum said guiding her finger to the position "then just strum the top string"
"This really hurts your fingers" Emily whined as she took her fingers off the strings and looked at the indents.
"Awh baby" Calum pouted sarcastically. Emily narrowed her eyes and handed the bass back to Calum before laying down on the bed.

"I didn't think you'd give up so easy" Calum commented before standing up and walking over to the bass stand.

"You can't be good at everything" Emily said

"That is true" Calum said laying down next to her "Have you ever tried music?"

"Not really. I remember my dad playing me guitar when I was younger"

"Was he musical?" Calum question rolling over so he could face Emily.

"Kind of"

"Why don't you ever open his letters?" Calum questioned making Emily pause for a few moments.

"I'm not interested in his life updates" Emily shrugged

"He's your dad Em" Calum sighed a little "You only get one"

"I've had three" Emily sighed a little "he's hardly a dad"

"I guess that is understandable but people can change. Sometimes a second chance is all they need"

"I don't believe in second chances" Emily said bluntly and stopped tracing his vein.

"Why not?"

"If you forgive someone then it's basically telling them it is okay so what's stopping them screwing you over again?" Emily said playing with the hem of her shirt.

"So you don't think people can change?"

"I think bad habits can return" Emily said looking up at Calum.

"So what are you scared of him or his habits?" Calum asked

"His bad habits make him who he is"

"Don't you think you should get in contact with him?" Calum asked

"He hasn't been part of my life for 12 years I don't see why it would make a difference now"

"Didn't you tell me that family was important?" Calum questioned looking down at her as she looked up at him.