Behind the Fake Smile Cp14

I stood by near the front door waiting for Lizzie and John to finish getting ready. We were all going to a youth club that John and Lizzie used to go to before they came here.

"Hurry arrpp!" I shouted looking at the time, we only had fifteen minutes and the club was a half hour drive away and I always hate being late, people always stared at you when you walked in and it always makes me feel suddenly self conscious about myself and I always get an urge to check that I haven't forgotten to wear a vital part  of my clothing; like trousers.

"Relax," Lizzie came from the dining room and stood next to me. "It doesn't matter if we're late. People are going to stare at us anyways. I mean, they've not seen John and I since last year and new comers always attract attention."

I guess I was the new girl... again. When John came, we set off for the half hour drive that needed to be completed within ten minutes.

We arrived at the youth club ten minutes late and as we walked towards the entrance, I started to get nervous. I didn't really want more 'friends' like Louise and I didn't really want to be the outcast. I took a deep breath and followed John and Lizzie. We walked down some light blue and white corridors with a number of displays varying from artwork to pictures on trips.

Soon we arrived at red double doors, John and Lizzie opened it together and the door released a loud groaning sound echoed by the hall we were entering. I could just imagine everyone head's snapping round to see who came late.

Next thing I knew, Lizzie and John were rushing forwards towards the now squealing people. I followed nervously and saw a group of about twenty people all surrounding John and Lizzie, giving them huge long hugs. I closed the door behind me, trying not to make a noise and then silently joined the rest of the circle. When the excited chatter soon calmed down and people began sitting down, John waved me over to sit with him and I obliged.

"Sorry about that?"

"They missed you," I forced a smile.

"Don't worry," he put his arm around me and gave me comforting squeeze. "You'll be fine, they're all really nice anyway."

I nodded and cursed myself for not giving a convincing smile. I was usually good at it...

John stood up and everyone watched him, then he did the worse possible thing that anyone could do for me. He dragged me up besides him. I resisted and we ended up in a sort of a mini tug-of-war but with no rope. Realising how stupid we must have looked, I gave in and reluctantly stood up next to him.

"This is Anna. She's my sister," he smiled at me apologetically. He knew of my stage fright and how nervous I am in front of people that I don't know.

What's he doing? This isn't Alcohol Anonymous! Anna, your new brother is a patronizing moron.
Somehow, I found myself agreeing with her- well Annafree- well myself really.

"I thought you and Lizzie were the only children your mum and dad had," said a girl wearing a green scarf.

"She's my adopted sister," he said and sat back down. As soon as he did, I did as well before glaring at John with pink cheeks.

Well that was majorly awkward and pointless. No one cares who I am.

They didn't even make me do that when I started school as a new girl, they allowed me to stand in the background. I didn't need to stand up in front of everyone and tell them who I am... until now and honestly, it's an experience that I wouldn't want to have again. As soon as I sat down, the double red doors which we entered before, swung open making the same groaning sound and entering the room was a tall plump man followed by a shorter version of him.

"I-am-so-sorry-we're-late," he said between breaths. He came over and joined the circle as did the little one. They both looked identical although there were slight differences between them for a start, one of them was taller than the other but despite their height difference their weight didn't looked about the same.

He scanned the circle and then stopped, his eyes resting on John, Lizzie and I. A wide grin spread across his face.

"Oh. My. Gosh." He grinned at us and John and Lizzie returned it, me on the other hand just smiled nervously. "Peter, look who's back." Peter, who was red in the face looked at all of us and a similar grin appeared on his face.

"John... Lizzie," he winked. Lizzie scowled at him. "I see you've brought a guest," he said nodding his head in my direction.

"She's my other sister," John replied putting his arm round me once again but his grip was more firm and protective this time.

"And what's your name cutie," he too sat down, joining the circle.

"A-Anna," I stuttered. I wasn't sure whether to be disgusted or compliments by his remark.

"Nice to meet you Anna. My name is Peter."