Behind the Fake Smile Cp26

"Well that explains her diabetes since no one in our family has it," mum glared at him.

"Unfortunately," Doctor James began to add ignoring dad. "Her cancer is relatively advanced and because she's vomiting we at least know that the tumor is near the digestive tract and that's really close to the pancreas."

"Advanced?" Mum turned pale.

"I'm sorry but we will do all we can to help her," he looked at me and then back at my parents. "Please could you step outside for a moment; I would like a word in private with you." His eyes flickered to me but quickly went back to my parents. Too stunned to speak, I left the room alone and sat in the waiting area. 

                                                                      *  *  *  *

We sat in the car in silence. We all were dazed. Stunned. Never in a million years would I have thought that this would happen to me. The radio wasn't on, the only thing we heard was the low rumble of the car engine.

They didn't tell me what the doctor had said when they were taken outside. To be honest, I don't think that I want to know really. Ignorance is bliss.

If I didn't know about my cancer then I'd be quite happy. I've gotten used to my diabetes so that it's a normal routine now... it was part of me but I guess that if I didn't know that I had cancer then the Doctors wouldn't be able to save me from an early death.

"Mum, dad?"

They both seemed shocked that I had spoken.

"Yes?" Although my mums voice was calm, I could tell that she was stopping herself from breaking down in front of me.

"Please don't tell anyone. I don't want anyone to know," I kept my gaze outside but I knew that they were both looking at me.

"You might not have it Anna," mum whispered.

"Not even John and Lizzie," I added, ignoring my mum's whispers.

"Of course, whatever you want Anna." Mum replied and looked at dad urging him to speak.

"Listen Anna," he coughed uncomfortably. "When you left the room, the doctor he told us... some things... and you need to go to the hospital tomorrow for some tests that need to be taken."

"Sounds great," I closed my eyes and rested my warm head on the cool window.

We arrived home to a quiet house and when I walked in the front room I saw John and Lizzie quietly watching TV oblivious to what had just happened. Tears welled up in my eyes so I quickly went to my room. I just felt like crying without being asked what was wrong because no doubt John and Lizzie would want to know.

I changed out of my pyjamas that I still had on and changed into bright blue skinny jeans, a black top and purple converse. If I met Michael outside then I'm not going to give him the slightest of doubt that everything isn't fine.

I walked out the house not bothering to tell anyone I left, I don't think mum and dad would care that much. They need the news to sink in just as much as I do. I kept my gaze on the floor whenever someone walked past me so that they wouldn't see that the whites of my eyes were yellow. I looked up and saw the tree house in the distance. Quickening my pace, I walked quickly towards it.

I stood silently hoping that Michael wasn't there. I couldn't hear any movement from above so I decided to climb ignoring the sudden urge to throw up everywhere. I fell in a heap on the floor, even though I've gotten better at hoisting myself through the small window I always liked to fall on the floor.