I am the American Idiot

I must've cried myself to sleep because I woke up. It was Monday. Great. More school. More points and whispers. Perfect. I couldn't stand it. I got up, hit off my alarm clock and went to go eat breakfast. I realized that dad wasn't there. "So, where's dad?" I asked, "If he's not at work?"

"He's with Alana," Mom replied, "Alana is the girl he was cheating on with me."

"Does she know that he cheated on you?" I asked.

"Yes," she replied, "I talked to her without your dad knowing. She is a very nice girl. She's 45 and she is attending her last year of collage. She's taking a photography course. She loves to paint and take pictures. She loves animals and nature. She's a very simple girl."

"But, if she knows that dad was, wait no, IS cheating on you, then why is she still with him?"

"Honey, she loves him. Love is a powerful thing and it cannot be broken easily. You will understand when you get older."

I was cautious before I asked my last question. I decided I SHOULD ask, "Did you love dad?"

She paused for about 2 minutes before replying, "Yes, I did very much." She was crying. Maybe I shouldn't have asked that. I quickly ate my breakfast and went to go get dressed.

I put on Pandora on my Ipod on Green Day radio and tapped my foot to the beat of 'Leave out all the Rest' by Linkin Park. (A/N~ I know it's not Green Day. I didn't know which song to do, so I went on Pandora on Green Day radio and promised whichever song came on first I would use and that song came on first). I sang along slightly. "When my time comes forget the wrong that I've done help me leave behind some reason to be missed. Don't resent me and when you're feeling empty keep me in your memory leave out all the rest. Leave out all the rest." When that song was over, 'Jesus of Suburbia' by Green Day came on. It was the one on Bullet In a Bible (Live). I thought it was weird that I knew all the lyrics to this song. But, I bet a lot of other people do, too. I tapped my foot along to the beat. I was almost done getting dressed. All I needed to do was put my shoes on and then I'll move on to hair and teeth. I had my grey shirt on with spikes on the shoulders that said 'Born to Be Bad'. I had my light blue, vintage, "torn", skinny jeans on, and my black converse on.

I thought about my dad. Would I ever see him again? I couldn't say I hated him. He was my father. Of course I would see him again. I wondered who would get my custody. Probably my mom, since my dad had an alcoholic past. I wanted my mom to get it. What about my friends? How am I going to tell them? It was weird how good Green Day sung live.

I only snapped out of my thoughts, when the song ended. Jesus of Suburbia is 9 minutes long! I checked the clock- 6:45. I had 15 minutes until we had to leave. I tied my shoes and went to brush my teeth.

I brushed my teeth and started on my hair. I brushed the top down and the bottom up and quickly put it in a ponytail. It was smack in the middle of my head. I could even braid my own hair! I could french-braid it across my head, vertically. The weird thing was. I was only good on my hair, not anyone else's. I could braid someone else's hair, but only braid. Not french-braid or waterfall or ponytail, only braid. It was weird.

I told my mom I was ready and flopped on the couch. Maybe if I go to sleep, I won't have to go to school. It was too late. A minute later my mom came out of her bedroom door, dressed in "work clothes". "What about the guys?" I asked.

"They'll be fine, look out the window," she replied. I looked out the window and no one was outside. Finally this whole thing blew over. I turned to her and nodded. "I'll write them a note that I left in case one of them wakes up," she said, as she ripped some paper out of a notebook and wrote, 'Dear, Green Day, I am leaving to go bring Nikki to school and run some errands. Don't ruin the house.' Wow, mom way to trust.