Chapter 5: Wanted

Wanting the Bad Boy - Chapter 5: Wanted

Alex's POV

My day started out normally. I went to school, sat through my boring classes, I "listened" to the teachers drag on and on. It was absolutely the most boring day I had ever faced in my life. I just thought about a lot of things most of the day.

I thought about my sister and how everything happened so quickly. One day she was fine, then she was sick, then she was gone. As I sat through trigonometry, images of the hospital came back to me. The bright lights, the nurses walking around, asking my dad questions, asking me questions. Telling me she was going to be fine.

When the bell rang signaling the end of the day, I raced out of my classes and to my truck. "Walker," I heard a small voice yell as I reached my car. "Are you alright?"

I spun around and Colbie was standing only a few feet from me.

"Yeah, I'm fine," I lied.

"Are you sure? You seemed distracted," she said.

I laughed it off. "When am I focused?" She gave a small laugh, but I could tell she was still curious. "look, you don't have to worry about me. If you wanted to talk to me that badly you didn't have to make something up. Just talk to me," I said with a smirk.

She scrunched her nose and squinted her eyes like she had just eaten something sour. "I did no-"

"It's alright princess. I'll see you around." I said opening the door to my truck and getting in.

I started the car and was about to pull away when she tapped on the glass. I rolled down my window. "What?" I asked annoyed. I just wanted to get home.

"You should really buckle up," she said looking towards my unbuckled seat belt.

I rolled my eyes and scoffed. "Like I said, you don't have to worry about me," I said and put my window back up. She backed up and I pulled out of the parking lot. I looked in my rearview mirror and watched her look at me as I drove off.

I pulled into my driveway. Frank gave me the day off so I didn't have to go into work after school. I parked the car and took the keys out of the ignition. I got out of the truck and went inside. The door was unlocked this time. I went to the kitchen and grabbed a box of pizza bagels from the freezer. I heated them up in the microwave and ate them as I leaned my elbows on the counter.

My mom walked into the room in her robe and slippers on.

"It's 4 in the afternoon," I said looking at her.

"And?" she said not even looking at me.

"Why are you still in your pajamas?" I asked moving my food out of the way so there was more room for her. My mom was nicer to me than my dad. My dad never seemed to show any emotion to me anymore. It was kind of annoying. I didn't really know why he hated me. He just did. My mom didn't really like me either, but at least we could kind of hold a conversation without insulting each other every other sentence.

"I can be in my pajamas for as long as I want. This is how it normally is." She warmed up her coffee in the microwave as I continued to eat. "I keep getting these emails from your teachers saying you aren't off to a great start this year. They are all saying that you don't turn in the homework and you don't pay attention in class. You should get on top of that so I don't have to hear about it anymore."

I dropped the pizza bagel that was in my hand. That's just great. My mom doesn't care about my grades. She just doesn't want to hear the teachers complaining anymore. She doesn't care if I fail. She doesn't care if I don't go to college and become successful. "Wow, that's really great. I'm glad you care so much."