Chapter 16: Dark Side

Wanting the Bad Boy ~ Chapter 16: Dark Side

Alex's POV

I called Candace yesterday. After Colbie had freaked out at me, I called Candace wanting to hang out. When she answered she seemed distracted. Our conversation went like this:

Candace: Hey, uh, what's up?

Me: Just needed to see you and hang out. It's been a rough couple of days.

Candace: Uh, I actually can't right now. I'm sort of busy. I will call you tomorrow, okay?

I didn't think anything of that. I understood that she was busy, but I did kind of think it was weird that she wasn't more enthusiastic. She was always so happy to hear from me and so happy when I asked to hang out. She sort of just brushed me aside.

So when I called her today and she didn't answer I thought it was weird. I called three times in the morning and twice in the afternoon and still got no answers. I left a message saying I was going to stop by her house after school to sort out what was going on. I really needed her right now. She was the only person who really understood me so much. She was the only one who I felt like I could talk to about Colbie. I mean she wanted me to stop hanging out with her and it was happening so I figured I could talk to her about it all.

When I pulled into the driveway though, I wasn't happy with what I saw. Candace's car was parked on the left side and on the right, where I usually parked, was another truck. Candace didn't drive a truck. She never had in her life.

I parked behind the truck and got out. I tried to stay calm. It's probably a sibling coming to visit. Only problem was that she was an only child. It's probably her parents. But she didn't have a good relationship with them. Everything I told myself, I found a reason why it couldn't be possible in the short time it took me to walk up to the front steps.

The only thing that could be possible was that she was with someone else in there. I didn't want to jump to conclusions. I would feel really stupid if it wasn't another guy in there.

I raised my hand up to the door and knock three times. I could hear foot steps. They'd better be hers. The door slowly opened and a bundle of pink fuzzy fabric and a blonde mess of hair awaited me on the other side. I smiled at her. I was glad she was still alive. She didn't smile back though. Not at first.

She looked at me with shock, then fear, then the fakest smile I had ever seen. "Alex, what are you doing here?" she asked.

"No hi?" I asked. I started to walk in and she stopped me. I looked past her and saw two beers on the table. "You have company?" I asked. I looked her up and down. She was wearing a thin robe. The robe she always put on after we had sex. I raised an eyebrow at her.

Her hazel eyes looked everywhere but to mine. I lifted her chin up to look at me. "Do you have company?" I asked again throwing my head towards the extra truck.

She swallowed and nodded. I looked past her as a shirtless guy walked down the stairs and came into the room. I dropped my hand from her face and looked at him. He was big. He was tall and muscular. I looked back at her and she had a look on her face like she was sorry. I didn't understand. She had asked me to stop hanging out with Colbie. I didn't care that she was with someone else. That wasn't anything new. It was just that she was with someone after she asked me to stop seeing someone else.

I felt really stupid. The guy looked at me with a questioning look. I looked at Candace and shook my head. "I was a jerk to Colbie, and for what? This?" I said pointing toward the guy.

I shook my head again and got in my truck. She stood in the doorway as I drove off. I was an asshole. I ignored Colbie. I told her to fuck off and leave me alone. I felt like shit. I can't believe I did that. I had to fix it. She was an amazing girl. Even after I hurt her, she still cared. She was still sweet when she was mad at me. She wanted me, she said. She wanted me and I told her to leave me alone. She might be gone, I thought. I don't deserve her, that's for sure, but I at least need to fix this. For her.