Chapter 22: The Climb

Wanting the Bad Boy - Chapter 22: The Climb

Alex's POV

My eyes shot open as the buzzing of my alarm blared through my room. I felt heavy and weak. My face felt dry in patches from tears that hadn't been wiped away. I laid on my stomach with the left side of my face pressed against my pillow. The alarm buzzed in my ear but I felt as though I should let it ring just a little longer, hoping my parents would wake up and remember what day it was.

The clock read 12:00 pm. A miserable time to wake up for most, but for me, it was peaceful and calming.

I threw the blankets off my body and sat up. My hand lazily flopped onto the on/off button on the alarm and the sound muted. I yawned, stretching my arms above my head and flexing my back muscles as they came down. I ran my fingers through my hair and walked towards my dresser.

I pulled out a black shirt and a pair of dark jeans. My head hung low as I could feel her eyes staring me down, even though it was just a picture. My eyes locked on hers and another tear fell. It was a sad day. One I dreaded for the past four years.

I had gone to the store last night and bought flowers. They rested in a vase full of water on my dresser. I took them out of the vase and held them in my left hand. With my index and middle finger of my right hand held together, I brought them to my lips and kissed them, then pressed them against the forehead of my sister in the picture.

I left my phone on my dresser. I hated being bothered by anyone on this day. No one was worth my attention today. It was about my sister. She had died four years ago but on this day she still lived on in all of our hearts. I thought about her everyday, but the people who showed up at her grave were the ones who really cared. The saddest part was that my mom barely went. My mom went for about five minutes each year in this day. My dad went for about ten on every Holliday and birthday and anniversary.

I went every holiday, birthday, anniversary, and any day that I needed to talk to her. The only difference between my dad and I, was that I stayed for almost the entire day each time I went. I didn't eat or drink the whole day. I brought flowers each time. I cleaned up her grave. Then I sat and talked to her the whole day. Sometimes I didn't even talk. I just sat there and listened, to the sounds around us. When I was there I could feel her presence.

Today was big though. Not only because it was the four year anniversary but also because I was telling her about Colbie for the first time. Now before she died, I had never really dated. I wasn't really into it until after I met Candace. I mean I liked girls occasionally, but I had never dated anyone. Now that I really thought about it, Colbie was kind of my first girlfriend. I mean I had lots of experience in the sex department, but I had close to none in the relationship department. It was a bit scary.

I pulled into the cemetery and parked a little ways away from her plot. I turned the engine off and shoved the keys in my pockets. I took the flowers in my hand and walked towards her grave, pulling the collar of my jacket up to keep the cool air from whistling against my neck.

I crouched down and placed the flowers in front of her headstone. It was a large piece of grey marble with specks of black in it. It was cleanly cut with sharp, smooth edges. I wanted nothing less for my favorite person in the world. My parents didn't want me to be apart of any of the decision making after she died, but I wouldn't stay out of it. I knew her best. I cared for her best. I wasn't going to let them give her a half ass piece of rock to throw on top of her dead body. I made them pay the best for every part of her funeral and burial ceremony. I made them buy the finest dark mahogany coffin, with the smoothest dark maroon velvet lining the inside.