Chapter 32: Bad Boys

Wanting the Bad Boy - Chapter 32: Bad Boy

Colbie's POV

We had gotten lunch with my mom and Ava after our cliff jumping experience. My mom told me that she was thinking about heading back to the house that we were renting to get in a shower before we went out tonight. Casella and Dylan were arriving soon so I told her we would meet up with her and Ava later.

Alex and I started to dig up some information while we had some free time. We walked through the small town that was Cedar Key. There were a lot of people around for such a small town. People were walking on every street. They rode bikes and scooters and ate ice cream. It seemed like a really nice town.

There was a small shop on the corner that sold souvenirs. I had a weird sort of tradition. Every time I traveled to some place exotic I tried to get a dolphin figurine. I had lots of them, mostly from different cities in Florida. I had one from the Bahamas, Miami, Orlando, Rhode Island, and the Dominican Republic. I wanted one from every place I visited, but obviously the places that weren't tropical didn't sell dolphin anythings.

When I told Alex about this dolphin thing he laughed at me a bit. He knew I was a kid at heart and I think he was accepting it. After he was done laughing at me, he helped me pick out my dolphin.

I'm not sure how we were planning on finding more information about Jessica. We would have to ask people around town about her I suppose. I mean, it was very unlikely that we would see her out here.

We left the shop and began walking down the side of the town that was back at the beach. There were groups of kids everywhere. This was such a small town, one of them was bound to know Jessica if she really lived here.

I started to walk toward a group of girls. Alex saw what I was doing and grabbed my hand to pull me back. I turned to him. "What are you doing?" I asked.

"What am I doing?" he said with a smile. "What are you doing? You can't go ask them?"

"Watch me," I said shaking my hand from his. I smiled at him and walked toward the girls.

They saw me coming and all seemed friendly, but I'm sure on the inside they were each screaming, what does this crazy girl think she is doing? As I got closer they all looked at me and smiled. "Hi, I'm Colbie," I said. "I was wondering if you knew a girl named Jessica Garren?"

The girls looked at each other then looked back at me. They were sizing me up. Probably wondering why I was asking. "I'm a friend of hers from where she used to live. I just wanted to know if you guys knew where she was."

The girls looked at each other again then back at me. The girl closest to me stepped forward and gave a half smile. "Sorry, we don't know any Jessica Garren."

I nodded and gave them a smile back. "Thank you for the help anyway." I turned around and crossed the street back to Alex.

He looked at me with hopeful eyes, but I shook my head. I could see that he had so much hope and when I shook my head it all floated away. I placed my hand in his. "Hey," I said looking him in the eye. "We are gonna find her. It's just the first group we've asked. There are plenty more."

He smiled and wrapped his arm around my shoulders. We started down the sidewalk. As the night went on we asked countless groups of kids. Alex had gotten a picture of her onto his phone and even showed people. No one knew who she was though. With every group we asked, and with every no we got, I could see Alex cave in on himself. He would hold his breath as he waited for them to answer and when they finally gave him the dreaded no, he sighed heavily. I knew this was hard for him. I didn't mean for this trip to hurt so much.