Ashton, you're so oblivious

Ashton felt awkward with his hand in Jake's but he didn't let go. He had promised to let Jake take him on a date and he had to deal with what came with that promise.

"So what made you change your mind about me?" Jake asked looking over at Ashton. The two were currently walking down the beach.

"Who said I changed my mind?" Ashton asked trying to skirt the question.

"Well you must have you agreed to go out with me." Jake pointed out.

Ashton didn't respond.

"So what made you change your mind?" Jake asked again when Ashton didn't answer.

"I didn't change my mind about you." Ashton answered honestly.

"Then why did you agree to go out with me?" Jake asked not giving up.

Ashton frowned slightly. He could tell Jake it was because he missed Luke and he was the closest thing.

"I dunno, I was just tired of you asking." Ashton shrugged. That wasn't a total lie.

"You can admit you like me, it's okay." Jake smiled at Ashton.

Ashton went to object but stopped himself. Did he really want to hurt Jake's feelings on a date? But then again did he want Jake thinking he had feelings for him?

"I don't like you in the way you'd like me to." Ashton stated wording his sentence carefully.

"But you do like me." Jake smiled.

"As much as I can like a cocky flirt, I guess." Ashton shrugged.

Jake chuckled.

"I'll take what I can get."

"I don't doubt that." Ashton said under his breathe.

"What does that mean?" Jake frowned at Ashton.

Ashton sighed. He hadn't meant for Jake to hear that.

"I just know your type. You don't settle down." Ashton shrugged.

"You think I just sleep around." Jake said knowing what Ashton meant.

"Well don't you?" Ashton asked.

Jake stayed silent for a moment.

"Not really." Jake answered after a long pause.

"You had to think about that for a while." Ashton commented.

"You are right, I don't settle down...for long. And I don't really ever plan to settle down." Jake shrugged.

Ashton only nodded.

"You aren't going to ask me why?" Jake asked raising a curious brow at Ashton.

"I just assume it's for the same reason that Luke doesn't believe love exists." Ashton shrugged.

Jake stopped suddenly.

"Luke told you that?" Jake asked seeming surprised.

Ashton nodded.

"Luke doesn't normally tell people that. At least not people that he isn't close to." Jake was frowning now.

Ashton felt his heart start to race.

"He had been drinking a lot and was rambling about a lot of things. It came up and I questioned him." Ashton said trying to make it seem like it wasn't a big deal.

"Ah, that makes more sense. Luke has a tendency of being careless when drunk." Jake chuckled and continued walking.

"However, our reason's are slightly different. He merely adopted my way of thinking after Jace broke his heart." Jake explained.